Skip to content

Prequel?

A place to discuss upcoming official Atmosfear games and projects!

Prequel?

Postby Skulldoon » Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:13 am

Taken from the Facebook group. Figured I'd share it here too.

"Hey everyone!
I’ve gotten the opportunity to talk to Brett Clements, one of the original creators of the Nightmare/Atmosfear franchise.
Brett does not own his half of the copyright anymore due to an incident outside of his control, so he does not have the ability to create things for the present or future story of the game, but he can write prequel content.
He is currently working on a 3D board game and ten releases of a mobile game.
The original Nightmare/Atmosfear is set in an amusement park (you can see this concept in the old cancelled SNES game). The prequels also share this setting.
Nightmare/Atmosfear is one attraction in a travelling carnival called Carney Island, which is run by the Bogan Bros. There are 10 worlds and 10 harbingers, including the 6 we know and love and 4 that we’ve never seen. All of the Harbingers are in a big house which has 10 levels.
New Harbingers: The Shape Shrifter (no that isn’t a typo, he is also known as Uncle Shrift). He’s a shape shifter, if you didn’t guess The Shape Shrifter is the character that I’ve heard the most about, the others include cannibals in a poison jungle and a ghost pirate. The Shrifter can turn into things and you have seconds to guess what it is.
The prequel game is supposed to be part monopoly, part trivial pursuit, part dungeons and include the humour of Nightmare. There is single player vs Uncle Shrift, or multi player.
There will eventually be a Kickstarter. Watch for it in the future
Mike"

-Mike Seguin
Skulldoon
Harbinger
Harbinger

Re: Prequel?

Postby DarkWolff » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:01 am

Hmmm I don't know what to make of this. It seems truly bizarre. Why would the Other Side have anything to do with an amusement park? Also: Medusa is also a Harbinger of sorts.
You sound like the type of maggot that learnt to crawl before you walked but never got to the walking part. -- The Gatekeeper

please take one step forward - oh, and watch that first step, its a doozy, you are BANISHED! --The Gatekeeper...to me.
DarkWolff
Hosts
Hosts

Postby marr0w » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:40 pm

The amusement park part sounds a bit like someone misremembering or at least mis-typing. Hellin's original province was a haunted amusement park, and that's why it's featured in the SNES game and on the Harbinger's poster. Of course now it's Helin not Hellin and individual provinces seems to be completely gone from the series so in that way, Brett can use the old concepts.

Medusa wouldn't be one of the original Harbingers, since she's very much a creation of Philip's "modern" Atmosfear, so using her requires his say so. But since the original six are technically public domain, the only gray area is the Gatekeeper himself. If Brett's really going to move forwards with this he's going to have to be really careful about not stepping on what could be perceived as the Atmosfear brand. If it ends up being too similar to modern Atmosfear then the rights holders could smack him down pretty quickly and with the original game having just been re-released that basically renews their hold on it.

But, we also live in an age where after 30 years I believe he can fight for his rights back for anything he's written. Not sure how that holds up in Australia, but that's why we had the ugly Friday the 13th lawsuits that have been going on for far too long here in the US.

...but I'm not a lawyer so what do I know? Hahahaha. I hope he finds a way and makes it work. The series has seriously been missing an ingredient over the years and I'll bet it has to do with his input.
"...boredom, a dangerous and deadly tool..."

marr0w
Hosts
Hosts

Postby BonsaiTreehouse » Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:13 pm

I was in a DM chat with the guy who originally made that FB post; it all started when Brett Clements seemed to be making some comments on the Kickstarter campaign page and who supposedly started reaching out to them via email and Facebook messenger. Long story short, we both chatted together and tried to rule out the likelihood that we were dealing with a possible catfish operation but after much scrutiny, it looks like Brett's messages and his FB account are the real deal.

That FB poster also replied to a comment I made and said that Brett and Philip are discussing the canon of the series to ensure that conflicting story ideas don't get in the way of either the Atmosfear lorebook or the new prequel game. I predict that given this new digital project is supposed to be a prequel and all, the whole theme park premise could end up being a jumping-off point for what eventually becomes the Other Side in the form that we know it now.
"I know why you never crack a smile...it would crack mirrors."
BonsaiTreehouse
Harbinger
Harbinger

Postby Skulldoon » Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:35 pm

Brett Clements is active on the Facebook Fan page at the moment.
Skulldoon
Harbinger
Harbinger

Return to New and Upcoming Games