Skip to content

'Carny Island' Latest Update

A place to discuss upcoming official Atmosfear games and projects!

'Carny Island' Latest Update

Postby BonsaiTreehouse » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:11 am

We now know more or less what our new 'Uncle Shrift' host is going to look like, along with some R&D shape-shifting animations!

Still image gallery on Well of Fears Subreddit (with captions):
https://www.reddit.com/r/WellOfFears/co ... island_rd/

Animated video previews on Facebook's Atmosfear Fan Club (no sound):
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2230645354

I'm getting a very 'Grizzly Tales for Gruesome Kids' vibe from these previews now and honestly, that's no bad thing imo :)
"I know why you never crack a smile...it would crack mirrors."
BonsaiTreehouse
Harbinger
Harbinger

Re: 'Carny Island' Latest Update

Postby marr0w » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:48 pm

Well, better late than never. I wasted the time to go through all of the posts on Facebook to find all the clips Brett posted of this project and then convert them to gifs. I can't say I'm a fan of the art style, even less so seeing it animated, but that's just my opinion of it. Anyways, for anti-Facebook peeps or collectors of animated gifs, here you go:

"...boredom, a dangerous and deadly tool..."

marr0w
Hosts
Hosts

Postby BonsaiTreehouse » Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:41 am

Good work!

I also felt there was something a little bit "off" about how its animated (not necessarily the style itself), and I think I know what it is: stuff like the Shape Shrifter's eyebrow hairs and scuffs on his cloak are in an almost crosshatched style but they're redrawn with every frame instead of remaining static with the rest of him so it looks like frenetic visual noise and makes it all seem more active than it actually is.

I personally don't mind the art style itself, but that could definitely do with some work (a few faded shadows as well could help lend the environments a much-needed sense of visual depth too imo)
"I know why you never crack a smile...it would crack mirrors."
BonsaiTreehouse
Harbinger
Harbinger

Postby marr0w » Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:51 pm

I think the chaotic style is what he's intentionally going for, which is a shame to me because it's the biggest deterrent. I wouldn't mind it so much if it was animated more smoothly keeping to the same design but as is it feels more like someone's animated slide show or Newgrounds video more than a project I'd want to sink money into. Some smoother animations, a bit more shading so the backgrounds feel less flat, and obviously the right voice work and maybe I'd come around to it. There's obvious talent there, I'm not trying to dump all over it, but it's just not my thing. Or I suppose more accurately, it just doesn't feel like what I'd expect for a Nightmare/Atmosfear prequel. But hey, if it makes him happy and other people enjoy it, I wish him well. God knows I wish I had a project of my own I was enthusiastic about to put half as much effort into these days.
"...boredom, a dangerous and deadly tool..."

marr0w
Hosts
Hosts

Return to New and Upcoming Games