Skip to content

The Video Board Game Nightmare/Atmosfear - HD Project

Discuss your love/hate for the original game series as well as any new updates. Anything prior to the DVD games would go here, this includes the Third Dimension and the Card Games.

The Video Board Game Nightmare/Atmosfear - HD Project

Postby Tyjan » Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:47 am

Hey everyone! I'm fairly new here (I used to just haunt and finally decided made an account), but I grew up playing the Nightmare VHS board games with my friends and family, and wanted to come onto these boards to let everyone know about a project I've been working on for the better part of a year.

Now that we finally have the proper tools to AI upscale and enhance some of our old tapes and movies, my mind immediately went to using the technology to upscale the original Nightmare/Atmosfear tape and its expansions. I started out by attempting to upscale some already existing YouTube uploads, but was never happy with the results (Especially with most of them being 240-360P).

So I went out, bought a VCR, and recorded my own tape of the base game. Afterwards I used an AI upscaler, edited the video down, and added effects to get rid of the VCR artifacts and clean up the image.

All of that lead to this: A trailer for the Gatekeeper base tape showing the enhancements and 2K upscaling! I plan on having the first tape fully uploaded some time tomorrow on the same channel! I hope you maggots enjoy:
Tyjan
Numbskull
Numbskull

Re: The Video Board Game Nightmare/Atmosfear - HD Project

Postby Tyjan » Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:36 am

UPDATE: The upload for the first tape has finished, and I'll be premiering it tomorrow on YouTube at 7PM EST!

If you'd like to chat along while it premieres live, here's the link:
Tyjan
Numbskull
Numbskull

Postby DarkWolff » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:30 am

This is a great achievement! Any chance you'll be doing the same for Harbingers? I would also kill if someone replaced all thr "hands up" quotes with "Answer me!" with believeable deepfake tech.

BTW: Are you aware of the kickstarter going on right now?
You sound like the type of maggot that learnt to crawl before you walked but never got to the walking part. -- The Gatekeeper

please take one step forward - oh, and watch that first step, its a doozy, you are BANISHED! --The Gatekeeper...to me.
DarkWolff
Hosts
Hosts

Postby Tyjan » Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:53 pm

DarkWolff wrote:This is a great achievement! Any chance you'll be doing the same for Harbingers? I would also kill if someone replaced all thr "hands up" quotes with "Answer me!" with believeable deepfake tech.

BTW: Are you aware of the kickstarter going on right now?

It'll depend on how many of the tapes I get my hands on! Currently I have the Base Game and the Baron Samedi expansion, but I've also been keeping an eye on an eBay listing for Harbingers (There's another that just has a replacement tape, which I may just pick that up). Once I have access to the tapes, I'll start the process all over again to get them upscaled.

And yes! I plan on picking up the Deluxe set shortly before the Kickstarter ends. I'd love to see what the new cards will bring to the game!
Tyjan
Numbskull
Numbskull

Postby marr0w » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:05 pm

@_@ Wow. You've got it clear enough to see that one stray nose hair during the staring contest. That used to mess me up so badly back in the day. This is super impressive! Great job, man.
"...boredom, a dangerous and deadly tool..."

marr0w
Hosts
Hosts

Postby Tyjan » Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:01 am

marr0w wrote:@_@ Wow. You've got it clear enough to see that one stray nose hair during the staring contest. That used to mess me up so badly back in the day. This is super impressive! Great job, man.

Thanks! I'll be starting work on the Baron Samedi tape soon as well!

I also just finished adding subtitles to the Nightmare base game video a few minutes ago!
Tyjan
Numbskull
Numbskull

Postby marr0w » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:16 am

For some reason seeing the Gatekeeper with subtitles makes me laugh, but good job again dude! I wish you all the luck in the world on Zombie.
"...boredom, a dangerous and deadly tool..."

marr0w
Hosts
Hosts

Postby Tyjan » Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:12 am

Been a while since I updated on the project, but my current Baron Samedi tape isn't in a fantastic state, so I ordered a replacement and am crossing my fingers that one comes out better.

But good news: I got a copy of Atmosfear: The Harbingers! I already ripped the tape, and the upscale rendering is happening as I speak.

This will take a bit longer due to Harbingers being a longer tape (The game instructions intro + main game), but the results before I do any editing already look amazing.

Here's an example picture!
Tyjan
Numbskull
Numbskull

Postby Tyjan » Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:28 am

The trailer for Atmosfear: The Harbingers is up!

Tyjan
Numbskull
Numbskull

Postby DarkWolff » Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:19 am

Glorious!!! I can't wait!
You sound like the type of maggot that learnt to crawl before you walked but never got to the walking part. -- The Gatekeeper

please take one step forward - oh, and watch that first step, its a doozy, you are BANISHED! --The Gatekeeper...to me.
DarkWolff
Hosts
Hosts

Next

Return to Original Series (VHS Era)