Skip to content

I just “ripped” all music from ALL THE VHS tapes!

Discuss your love/hate for the original game series as well as any new updates. Anything prior to the DVD games would go here, this includes the Third Dimension and the Card Games.

I just “ripped” all music from ALL THE VHS tapes!

Postby BonsaiTreehouse » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:01 pm

And everyone can now listen to (and download) a rather shaky version of the entire ambient mix from the first Atmosfear tape without the gatekeeper interrupting them the whole time! (And yes, I really did just make a forum account just so I could tell you this. How’s that for a formal introduction, eh?):

https://youtu.be/zMkiMti5e2Q - Gatekeeper
https://youtu.be/BwQ9Bek0s1o - Zombie
https://youtu.be/nlC0G08K1jg - Witch
https://youtu.be/DI6rUISJAOo - Vampire

Playlist (NOW COMPLETE!) - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... zoVEZ-KF_y

ENJOY! :P
Last edited by BonsaiTreehouse on Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:51 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"I know why you never crack a smile...it would crack mirrors."
BonsaiTreehouse
Harbinger
Harbinger

Re: I just “ripped” all the music from the original tape

Postby DarkWolff » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:39 am

This is pretty cool. How did you manage to scrub out the Gatekeeper? Also, welcome to the forums!
You sound like the type of maggot that learnt to crawl before you walked but never got to the walking part. -- The Gatekeeper

please take one step forward - oh, and watch that first step, its a doozy, you are BANISHED! --The Gatekeeper...to me.
DarkWolff
Hosts
Hosts

Postby BonsaiTreehouse » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:11 am

DarkWolff wrote:This is pretty cool. How did you manage to scrub out the Gatekeeper? Also, welcome to the forums!

Thanks for the kind welcome! As to how I scrubbed the Gatekeeper’s voice, I...kinda cheated? Lemme explain:

There are multiple language versions of Atmosfear/Nightmare graciously archived on YouTube, all of which feature Gatekeepers who all chime in at different points of each tape. I matched up the audio for each in Adobe Audition while accounting for sync issues and as one gatekeeper from one tape would start to speak, I’d simply mute them and let the audio from another tape take over while the music was still playing there. It wasn’t entirely perfect (even with the additional Harbingers Booster Tape audio, there were still some bouts of complete silence that I had to patch over with other sounds recycled from elsewhere in each tape), but the result was nonetheless satisfyingly cohesive.

I absolutely plan to do the same for the other tapes very soon (watch this space!), though I anticipate they will provide more of a challenge than this first tape did. All the tapes used for this soundtrack “rip” included English, Spanish (featuring my personal favourite gatekeeper btw!) French, German (the most recently uploaded), Italian, Dutch (the YouTube transfer quality of which is by far the worst of the bunch) and Harbingers Booster Tape II. I know there exist additional Dutch versions and even a GREEK version according to an eBay listing but to my knowledge, those tapes have not been uploaded in any capacity.

The more tapes are uploaded, the more complete each soundtrack will be!
BonsaiTreehouse
Harbinger
Harbinger

Postby DarkWolff » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:25 pm

Wow, that's an absolute ton of work. Thanks for doing it!
You sound like the type of maggot that learnt to crawl before you walked but never got to the walking part. -- The Gatekeeper

please take one step forward - oh, and watch that first step, its a doozy, you are BANISHED! --The Gatekeeper...to me.
DarkWolff
Hosts
Hosts

Postby BonsaiTreehouse » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:43 pm

Pleasure to bring it to you! I love the ghostly Korg synth vibe that the Atmosfear games provide and my dream would be to see a proper HQ version of the soundtrack straight from the folks who made the tapes...ah, someday...
BonsaiTreehouse
Harbinger
Harbinger

Postby DarkWolff » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:11 am

There was a soundtrack for the Atmosfear PC game. You were supposed to play it while the PC game was running.

DarkWolff
Hosts
Hosts

Postby BonsaiTreehouse » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:46 am

DarkWolff wrote:There was a soundtrack for the Atmosfear PC game. You were supposed to play it while the PC game was running.

Ah yes, I did use that audio to briefly aid with sound quality on this rip (and it will no doubt come in great handy for the ones to come next) but while it includes excerpts of ambience from the other tapes, it’s still not THE complete recordings.

For e.g, we got to hear some of the “Mea Culpa, Anne” chants in the CD from the Witch tape, but hardly anything else besides that and if no official outlet can rectify that, then I figured that I can at least give it a shot. :)
BonsaiTreehouse
Harbinger
Harbinger

Postby Nons » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:01 am

As a fellow Atmosfear Soundtrack Ripper, this pleases me greatly 8-) Nice to meet you Bansai!!
Mummy on the Move!
Nons
Old One
Old One

Postby BonsaiTreehouse » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:32 am

Nons wrote:As a fellow Atmosfear Soundtrack Ripper, this pleases me greatly 8-) Nice to meet you Bansai!!

AAAAYYYYYYY 8-)
BonsaiTreehouse
Harbinger
Harbinger

Re: I just “ripped” all music from the VHS tapes UPDATE: ZOM

Postby BonsaiTreehouse » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:30 pm

Hey, me again! Just ripped the SECOND tape with Baron Samedi the Zombie, gonna try and move on to the Witch very soon...! This "rip" was significantly rougher than the last one, but there are nonetheless some good sounds here! See the updated top post for links!
BonsaiTreehouse
Harbinger
Harbinger

Next

Return to Original Series (VHS Era)