Skip to content

Atmosfear: The Harbingers on Table Top Simulator

Discuss your love/hate for the original game series as well as any new updates. Anything prior to the DVD games would go here, this includes the Third Dimension and the Card Games.

Atmosfear: The Harbingers on Table Top Simulator

Postby amars464 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:30 pm

Hey everyone! Long time no see! I recently picked up Table Top Simulator for me and my friends and saw a really nice version of Nightmare I-IV on the workshop, but there was no Atmosfear! So I took it upon myself to make a version of it. It's definitely not the prettiest seeing how I don't make 3D models, but it should be absolutely functional.

Check it out if you have TTS: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 2337629954

I'm currently in search of high quality scans of just about anything from the base game or Soul Rangers to improve on it, but as it is there is a functional version of The Harbingers, and the tablet has buttons for the main tape and both boosters.
amars464
Young One
Young One

Re: Atmosfear: The Harbingers on Table Top Simulator

Postby Nons » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:54 pm

You are my hero!! I picked up Tabletop Sim during the sale once I heard that someone here was working on the Harbingers!
Mind if I shoot you a friend request on Steam?
Mummy on the Move!
Nons
Old One
Old One

Postby amars464 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:00 pm

Sure go ahead! I'm going to be working until around 6PM EST today, but I'm definitely looking for some people to try this out with seeing how I haven't tested it yet. I'm still holding out hope that someone makes a prettier version of it with good 3D models and stuff, mine is pretty bare bones.

**UPDATE**
Ended up deciding that I wasn't done actually making the board game yet. I learned how to do at least a little bit of 3D modeling and made a proper Ring Road. I probably won't end up doing the Harbingers because they are way more complicated, and honestly I think for visibility's sake I prefer the little tokens I made.

**UPDATE 2**
A little bit more changelog. I fixed the collision on the ring road so the skulls don't float above it any more. I also was able to slap together a LUA script on it so that the Ring Road acts like the Well of Fears, and you can ONLY place the fear Notecards in it, so you can't drop a playing piece in there by accident. I also ended up making the Harbinger pieces after all

**UPDATE 3**
Big time update! I've done a bunch of improvements to the overall look of the game. I gave the scene a harsher purple light to try to capture the feel of Nightmare/Atmosfear in all of its promotional material. I placed a CRT TV model around the tablet that plays the videos to make it look like an old TV, and there's even a working VCR! In order to switch between YouTube links on the TV, you can insert tapes into the VCR and it will switch to the correct video for that tape! There's also someone over on Reddit who said they might be able to get me better scans of everything, including stuff for The Soul Rangers, so that might be on the horizon. Linking to a good look at how the game currently looks:
https://i.imgur.com/apKCVw8.jpg

**UPDATE 4**
I finally had a chance to test the game out and it worked pretty well! I ended up adding buttons to lock down the provinces and unlock them though. We kept accidentally picking provinces up when we were trying to move our pieces so now after the Chosen One arranges the board they can lock it down so that it can't be moved, and then once the 10 minute mark passes the Soul Rangers can unlock the board, flip the unclaimed provinces, and lock it back down fairly quickly.
amars464
Young One
Young One

Postby SavageXtreme » Tue May 04, 2021 7:06 am

Any updates on this project so far? No rush if IRL has kept you busy.
Banished to the blaghole...MAGGOT!
SavageXtreme
Harbinger
Harbinger

Postby amars464 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:16 am

Well I just saw that marr0w posted up a high quality scan of the comic book side of the rules, so if I can get a nice scan of the other side of the sheet with like the lore stuff on it then I'll be able to have the rules sheet added to the game. Really the main things that I'm lacking at this point are just things I don't have access to personally. I don't have the means to scan the board, and I don't own a copy of The Soul Rangers, so I don't have any of the materials from that.

I'd love to make some more additions to this to make it as nice as possible, but without assistance for the assets I'm missing I'm at the point where it's as good as I'm personally able to make it. Granted, I'm not unhappy with where it has left off. It's a super functional version of the game with a bunch of custom 3D models and scripting to try to nail the feel and presentation. I even have a custom Booster Tape in there that I made by remixing all of the Gatekeeper tapes!

If I end up getting better scans some day, I'll definitely update it and pop a note in here about it though.
amars464
Young One
Young One

Postby ThatWidescreenGuy » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:57 pm

What do you mean by scanning the board? As in 3D scanning it? Only the texture?

Also, if you need anything from the Soul Rangers expansion I'd be happy to help.
ThatWidescreenGuy
Young One
Young One

Postby amars464 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:53 pm

I just mean the texture of the board. The textures on the board that I'm using now are just taken from photos that I took from my phone, so I'd really love to get some high quality scans of them.

As far as the Soul Rangers is concerned, I don't own it so I'd need pretty much everything. Cards, rules, character cards, whatever other print materials come with it. I probably wouldn't go as far as making 3D modeled player pawns like I did with the base game, but I'd love to include the rest of it.

**EDIT**
Managed to get my hands on a cheap scanner, so I was at least able to scan the reverse side of the rule sheet. I'm working on cleaning that up right now, and then I might look into tossing in a couple of Easter Eggs. I'm thinking of hiding a CD somewhere that will bring up the video for Thrill Me on the TV, Including the Nightmare Presenter Video, and a SNES cart that will bring up a video of someone playing the prototype. Any or none of those might happen!

**EDIT 2**
I added all three bonus features, but instead of clicking on them, I made them all items you can insert into the VCR so that it plays well with the scripting on the tapes.

**EDIT 3**I started working on the card/keystone trays. https://i.imgur.com/Mu9HYr3.jpg
I don't know if I'll be able to make them work properly though. Cards in TTS are set up so that they lay flat when you pick them up, so you can't just easily drop them into the slots. I'm seeing if someone can help me script the trays so that it fills them by dropping cards onto them. Chances are these are going to get scrapped though. Even if they did work, it's about a million times better to put the character card and keystones into your hand in TTS. I was just going to try to add them for authenticity.

Got the slabs fully functional. https://i.imgur.com/ZFsqgRo.jpg
I also updated the keystones so that they are custom 3D models. Players can also opt to use the old versions if they prefer to manage keystones in their hands instead of the Slabs.

I don't know why it took me this long to realize this, but there's literally a UPS store that's like a 5 minute walk from where I live. I'm going to find out how reasonable it would be to scan the board pieces there.
amars464
Young One
Young One

Postby amars464 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:02 pm

Sorry for the double post, but that last one was getting a little long also this is a fairly major update. I'm proud to say that The Harbingers is now complete! I really can't think of anything else I can do with it at this point. Here's a gallery of what the final version looks like http://imgur.com/a/DRtcX6O
amars464
Young One
Young One

Postby marr0w » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:42 pm

...wow.
"...boredom, a dangerous and deadly tool..."

marr0w
Hosts
Hosts

Postby amars464 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:01 pm

Haha thanks! If anyone ever wants to get a game going, I'm usually free after 6 PM EST on weekdays, and pretty much free whenever on the weekends. Here's my Steam profile https://steamcommunity.com/id/amars464/
amars464
Young One
Young One

Next

Return to Original Series (VHS Era)