Skip to content

What would have made the perfect Soul Rangers tape?

Discuss your love/hate for the original game series as well as any new updates. Anything prior to the DVD games would go here, this includes the Third Dimension and the Card Games.

What would have made the perfect Soul Rangers tape?

Postby ThatWidescreenGuy » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:20 am

I remember finding out there was an expansion for the Harbingers, getting all excited all over it, falling in love with the design of Dr. Mastiff and immediately being disappointed by the overall quality of the tape itself. It's a shame, because the game is a great addition to the series! So what would you change? What do you think was nailed? What was fine but could have been better?

Personally, I think they were going somewhere with the change in music and by having an actual set that the camera could explore. It's the sewers, after all, it should feel different. I just think the execution was very poor, especially when Dr. Mastiff said basically anything and his voice didn't match his movements at all. I think there could have been a way to keep the spirit of all those things without it being so... annoying? I don't really know where the line between being different and not feeling like Atmosfear is.
ThatWidescreenGuy
Young One
Young One

Re: What would have made the perfect Soul Rangers tape?

Postby DarkWolff » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:17 am

I believe they were trying to make the sewers looking chaotic but they just ended up making it look like random noise. If that could be fixed it would be much better. I am not sure how someone could fix the Mastiff visuals without redoing them totally.
You sound like the type of maggot that learnt to crawl before you walked but never got to the walking part. -- The Gatekeeper

please take one step forward - oh, and watch that first step, its a doozy, you are BANISHED! --The Gatekeeper...to me.
DarkWolff
Hosts
Hosts

Re: What would have made the perfect Soul Rangers tape?

Postby ThatWidescreenGuy » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:38 am

Well, hypothetically, they could have fixed that by shooting all the footage they needed. Maybe there was a problem with some of it, it's quite evident they had to reuse a lot of shots. Also, I kind of see the reason behind not having the clock on screen constantly, because of the insane amount of visual noise, but I do think they should have found a way to have it in the whole video. The DVD release had a camera that moved through 3D space and still managed to keep the clock on screen, but I don't know if that's the right way to go. I'm a big fan of the way they did it in vanilla Harbingers, where the timer is an unstoppable force that's never interrupted, not even by the Gatekeeper's appearances.
ThatWidescreenGuy
Young One
Young One

Return to Original Series (VHS Era)