Skip to content

UPDATE! I (translated!) Atmosfear EXPRESS from Spain...

The series has moved on from VHS to DVDs and mobile apps, but are they really better? Reviews, questions, and general discussion about them go here.

UPDATE! I (translated!) Atmosfear EXPRESS from Spain...

Postby BonsaiTreehouse » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:04 pm

HAPPY NEW YEAR, HERE'S THE FULL 'ATMOSFEAR EXPRESS' ENGLISH TRANSCRIPT!
(Spanish dialogue was roughly translated and then matched up with the corresponding clips from the 49 minute English-language DVD,. Some clips were abridged in the Spanish DVD to compress things down for the 15-minute time limit and the translated dialogue reflects this; one late game clip cuts out some superfluous lines and the new never-seen-before countdown-skipping section is comprised entirely of recycled dialogue, it turns out.)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1II1 ... sp=sharing

And here are some links to the official Well of Fears fan site repositories!
http://marrowproductions.com/WoF/wiki/i ... s_(English)
http://marrowproductions.com/WoF/wiki/i ... t_(English)

Here's a subtitled clip (with watermarks, sorry) for the only DVD game clip to never be seen outside of Spanish-speaking countries UNTIL NOW: https://youtu.be/mEWatZ69hBc

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all, guy who preserved the Atmosfear game soundtracks back at it again :P

So...anyone else remember when Spain and Portugal were so infatuated with the franchise that they got themselves an exclusive version of Atmosfear: The Gatekeeper with a SECOND DVD full of extra 15-minute long challenges a whole 4 years after the original full fat 49-minute game release? Never been documented on this sites own FAQ, no information in any other language on any other site to my knowledge or anyone else's for that matter.

Basically, nobody outside of Spain or Portugal knows how this game plays and my petty quest for complete series documentation led me to a copy for sale on a Spanish eBay clone site.

One 48 euro transaction later and It is currently on its way to my home in London as we speak.

Once it arrives, I will rip the DVD contents. I will translate and interpret what I can. I will see what (if anything) has changed presentation-wise between releases.

And I will share all...
Last edited by BonsaiTreehouse on Mon May 17, 2021 2:48 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"I know why you never crack a smile...it would crack mirrors."
BonsaiTreehouse
Harbinger
Harbinger

Re: So I just ordered a copy of Atmosfear EXPRESS from Spain

Postby DarkWolff » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:13 pm

This is literally the only game in the series I don't own. I am really looking forward to the day you receive it!
You sound like the type of maggot that learnt to crawl before you walked but never got to the walking part. -- The Gatekeeper

please take one step forward - oh, and watch that first step, its a doozy, you are BANISHED! --The Gatekeeper...to me.
DarkWolff
Hosts
Hosts

Postby Nons » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:48 am

You, sir, are a legend
We may be Soundtrack rivals, but you take the cake with this :lol:
Mummy on the Move!
Nons
Old One
Old One

Postby BonsaiTreehouse » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:23 am

UPDATE, the game arrived just a few minutes ago after much delay in the post! The box lid has dents with one corner torn and the contents were scattered all over the place when I opened it, but the Express DVD is there and that's all that matters!

This will be your NIGHTMARE before christmas...!
BonsaiTreehouse
Harbinger
Harbinger

Re: UPDATE! I ordered a copy of Atmosfear EXPRESS from Spain

Postby DarkWolff » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:42 pm

I almost posted yesterday asking if you had received it. I'm excited to finally get more info about this game!
You sound like the type of maggot that learnt to crawl before you walked but never got to the walking part. -- The Gatekeeper

please take one step forward - oh, and watch that first step, its a doozy, you are BANISHED! --The Gatekeeper...to me.
DarkWolff
Hosts
Hosts

Postby BonsaiTreehouse » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:20 pm

THE STORY SO FAR:

I have extracted all the video clips from the Spanish ATMOSFEAR 'EXPRESS' DVD and have every individual scene saved on my PC. The DVD itself mainly recycles footage from the English version with some Spanish vocal dub over the top along with a heavy red filter over everything. The music is the same as before, but seemingly abridged for the 15-minute time frame. Even the random luck-based minigames return, which was a surprise to me. However, I've hit something of a snag: I've tried all the auto-subtitle/transcription sites I can find but technologically speaking, they're severely limited and none of them are the slightest bit ideal for translating Spanish into English, leaving me to determine that you just can't beat the real thing. So, if anyone on these forums speaks or understands Spanish (or knows someone who does), give me a shout and I can send a Drive link with a zip file of the clips ready to extract and translate.

HERE IS WHAT I DO KNOW (thanks mainly to Google Translate):

Atmosfear Express, released in Spain and Portugal in 2008 (and maybe also Argentina even earlier in 2005), supposedly boasts multiple games 15 minutes apiece according to the back of this box here: https://http2.mlstatic.com/D_NQ_NP_2X_6 ... 020-F.webp

NOTE: This is NOT the version of the game I got (which comes with two DVDs instead of one), but it nonetheless provides some possible insight.

The instructions included in that version (Here: https://http2.mlstatic.com/D_NQ_NP_2X_7 ... 020-F.webp ) seem to state that players can opt for multi-game sessions, with the gatekeeper (probably?) imposing some kind of limitation on them before each one.

Aside from that, the game rules are very similar to Atmosfear DVD classic, but with some noteable differences: first the Time Card deck must be excised of all cards marked with a time HIGHER than thirteen minutes (not a typo). Three of the remaining time cards in this new deck are then handed out randomly to each player face-down before the game starts. Even with the proper time cards in hand however, the instructions even say that there's always a chance the gatekeeper could interrupt and obscure the timer as a result, thus preventing a player from using whatever time card they were originally planning to use.

Players also get to fill out their numbered racks with three coloured keys of their choice before the game starts. The oldest player chooses one key first, then the next player on their left and so-on until everyone has three keys. One last rule-change is that when a player reaches the Well of Fears, they don't need to wait for their turn to come around before a fear is selected; the chosen one (or the person on their left) just picks up the well and reads a random fear the very instant a player lands on the entry stone.
BonsaiTreehouse
Harbinger
Harbinger

Postby DarkWolff » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:29 am

Is there any way for you to tell if the dubbed footage is the same as the normal DVD footage? I wonder if we could replace it so we could play the game in English. So are there two versions of this game, or did you only receive 1 disk?

I guess I shouldn't be too surprised about the rules...it is only a 15 minute game after all. I'd like to see the what the Gatekeeper does to you after multiple games.

DarkWolff
Hosts
Hosts

Postby BonsaiTreehouse » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:31 pm

DarkWolff wrote:Is there any way for you to tell if the dubbed footage is the same as the normal DVD footage? I wonder if we could replace it so we could play the game in English. So are there two versions of this game, or did you only receive 1 disk?

I guess I shouldn't be too surprised about the rules...it is only a 15 minute game after all. I'd like to see the what the Gatekeeper does to you after multiple games.

I looked at one of the ending “victory” scenes with the sound off and I could distinctly see the Gatekeeper mouthing the words: “That’s my job...‘til next time, suckers!” It’s the same actor and costume in the footage too, except their appearance transition is like a reverse-explosion of particles instead of a brief fade-in. The dialogue seems changed too: in one clip (at least, the one short three second-long clip that I was actually somewhat able to translate by myself lol), the Gatekeeper tells Baron Samedi to roll a 3 to play again, which I don’t think was in the classic English DVD release. Aside from that though I got no idea what he’s saying, so I’ll need some help on that at some point I think.

The Spanish release that I got comes with both discs: one the regular 49 minute game and the other is the 15 minute version (the board is also slightly wider too). From what I understand, in Argentina (pics linked in my previous comment) the Express version was given its own dedicated release one year after the classic version. That version has all the keys come in flat cardboard cutout shapes. Weird.
BonsaiTreehouse
Harbinger
Harbinger

Postby DarkWolff » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:10 pm

So we'd also have to dub over the voice if we wanted to recreate the game; got it. It's a shame there is no English version of this game. It could be a great filler game at 15 mins.

DarkWolff
Hosts
Hosts

Postby BonsaiTreehouse » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:34 pm

DarkWolff wrote:So we'd also have to dub over the voice if we wanted to recreate the game; got it. It's a shame there is no English version of this game. It could be a great filler game at 15 mins.

lol I’d actually be all up for that if it were possible! :)
BonsaiTreehouse
Harbinger
Harbinger

Next

Return to Modern Series (Disks and Digital Era)