Skip to content

What would make an Atmosfear/Nightmare game scarier?

The series has moved on from VHS to DVDs and mobile apps, but are they really better? Reviews, questions, and general discussion about them go here.

What would make an Atmosfear/Nightmare game scarier?

Postby valveros » Mon May 14, 2012 9:16 pm

What do you think would make the games scarier? (Talking video wise)
Jump scares?
Unfitting music (can be freaky in some cases)?
Subliminal images flashing on the screen?
More grotesque make-up?
:twisted:
Or do you think too much would ruin it?
valveros
Toad
Toad

Re: What would make an Atmosfear/Nightmare game scarier?

Postby MasterOfPuppets » Mon May 14, 2012 10:29 pm

I think that the thunder and yelling would already count as jump scares.

I wouldn't mind hearing a slightly more "creepy" track playing. I do like the audio toward the end of the games though.

I think the subliminal messages might be a problem. Having people think they missed something.

More grotesque makeup could be done to a certain degree. I don't find gore frightening, so it would have to be done properly and in moderation in my opinion if it was used.
MasterOfPuppets
Hosts
Hosts

Postby valveros » Mon May 14, 2012 10:52 pm

MasterOfPuppets wrote:I think that the thunder and yelling would already count as jump scares.

I wouldn't mind hearing a slightly more "creepy" track playing. I do like the audio toward the end of the games though.

I think the subliminal messages might be a problem. Having people think they missed something.

More grotesque makeup could be done to a certain degree. I don't find gore frightening, so it would have to be done properly and in moderation in my opinion if it was used.

Yeah I thought that too (for the jump scares). But maybe having a random loud banging/screaming noise while the host is offscreen could be used every so often to keep the players on edge lol.
That "Jaws" like music near the end of the 1st Nightmare game still gives me the heebee jeebies, so I agree with you that the original audio is quite good in places. I'd like more Silent Hill-ish music personally.
In terms of subliminal images, I think it could just be something relating to the host. Like maybe a picture of maggots flashes on screen really really quickly while playing the Gatekeeper, some kind of cracked doll for Hellin, etc.
Yeah too much gore would be silly. Maybe have a bit of blood coming out of the host's mouth/eyes while they're onscreen near the end of the game might be pretty cool lol.
valveros
Toad
Toad

Postby MasterOfPuppets » Tue May 15, 2012 10:50 am

valveros wrote:In terms of subliminal images, I think it could just be something relating to the host. Like maybe a picture of maggots flashes on screen really really quickly while playing the Gatekeeper, some kind of cracked doll for Hellin, etc.

Ooh, I really like that idea.
MasterOfPuppets
Hosts
Hosts

Return to Modern Series (Disks and Digital Era)