Skip to content

A new idea for a new atmosfear/nightmare...

Ever created your own game or wanted to? Feel free to discuss it here!

A new idea for a new atmosfear/nightmare...

Postby valveros » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:38 am

Hey everyone, been thinking about making another fan game (since im still on a creative buzz from the last one lol)
Been trying to come up with some new rules and I figuered I would run em' past you guys and ya'll could take me what you think!

Okay, so basically it would be played on the vhs board. There would be time and fate cards, but also a new set of cards, which we'll call treasure cards for now.
The game would be about 30-40 mins long, and the aim of the game would be to go around the board collecting as many treasure cards as you can (the chance stone would substitute for the treasure stone). The host would award treasure cards as well at times. The treasure cards all give a different amount of points (from 1 point to 7)
When you pick up a treasure card you cant look at it, it must remain face down next to your other cards and cant be looked at until the end of the game. Fate cards would have various mini games you can play with an opponent where you wager treasure cards against each other in a game of chance (dice duel, coin toss etc).
There would be a minimum amount of treasure cards you must have before you can go to the nightmare square in the middle. So say if you had the minimum at 15 mins into the game you could go to the nightmare square and your turns would be over. HOWEVER...the game still continues until the time limit is up. If you do not make it to the nightmare square before the game is over you lose (as usual). So basically, what you would do is get as many treasure cards as you can, then leave ample time to make it to the nightmare square before time is up (there are no keys to collect by the way). Once time is up, you can turn your treasure cards over and add them all up. There would also be bonuses for if you got 4 of a kind, 4 of the same color etc. When the game is over, there would be certain score ranges on the screen (say one for 0 - 30 points, 30 - 70, 70 - 100) The player with the highest score would choose the points range they scored and the host would reappear either congratulating them for getting such a high score or insulting them for getting a low score.
Oh yeah, the "Take a key if you are x" squares on the board would be "Take a treasure card if you are x".

I hope that made sense! Please let me know what you think, mainly:
Does this actually sound fun to play?

Thanks guys
valveros
Toad
Toad

Re: A new idea for a new atmosfear/nightmare...

Postby valveros » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:04 am

Well...any thoughts?
I'm most likely going to go ahead with this and get the ball rolling in the next couple months
valveros
Toad
Toad

Postby DarkWolff » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:40 am

Sounds like something Khufu would like. :) Interesting concept, but it's hard to see how it would play out to me.
You sound like the type of maggot that learnt to crawl before you walked but never got to the walking part. -- The Gatekeeper

please take one step forward - oh, and watch that first step, its a doozy, you are BANISHED! --The Gatekeeper...to me.
DarkWolff
Hosts
Hosts

Postby valveros » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:37 pm

You're right it does sound pretty "Khufu-ish"...

What i'd like it to be about is mainly trickery, deceit and taking risks, as in having the players basically doing whatever it takes to win and mainly worrying about each other than the host. I would have to think of some cards that could accommodate to this.
If you have any ideas please don't hesitate to reply!
valveros
Toad
Toad

Postby valveros » Sun May 06, 2012 4:47 am

Hey all, wrote down a draft for some Harbinger powers for the new game I wana make. Each Harbinger has their own specific power and it can get stronger as you sacrifice Vice and Virtue (basically Treasure) cards. I'll post the details below.
valveros
Toad
Toad

Postby valveros » Sun May 06, 2012 4:51 am

HARBINGER CARDS:

Harbinger cards are special ability cards specific to each Harbinger. They can be “levelled up” by sacrificing Vice and Virtue cards. As a Harbinger’s card levels up they gain a more powerful ability.

Baron Samedi:

Tattered Top Hat: Whenever you land on an opponent’s gravestone, pick one of their Vice and Virtue cards randomly. If it has a value of 1, you may keep it.

Patched-up Top Hat: Whenever you land on an opponent’s gravestone, pick one of their Vice and Virtue cards randomly. If it has a value of 1 or 2, you may keep it.

Gentlemen’s Top Hat: Whenever you land on an opponent’s gravestone, pick two of their Vice and Virtue cards randomly. If at least one of them has a value of 1, you may keep both.

Pimp Hat: Whenever you land on an opponent’s gravestone, pick two of their Vice and Virtue cards and keep them. If the combined total value of the cards is 7 or higher, the opponent must also roll their number to play again.

Elizabeth Bathory:

Paper Jaw: Whenever you land on the same stone as an opponent, toss the coin. If you toss a Heads, the opponent must miss a turn.

Plastic Jaw: Whenever you land on the same stone as an opponent, toss the coin. If you toss a Heads, the opponent must miss 2 turns.

Reinforced Metal Jaw: Whenever you land on the same stone as an opponent, toss the coin. If you toss a Heads, the opponent must roll their number to play again.

Diamond Jaw: Whenever you land on the same stone as an opponent or their Headstone, toss the coin. If you toss a Heads, take one Vice and Virtue card from them.

Hellin:

Ruined Teddy: Whenever you land on your own headstone, roll the die. If you roll a 1, take a Vice and Virtue card. Any other number however and you miss a turn.

Patchwork Teddy: Whenever you land on your own headstone, roll the die. If you roll a 1 or 2, take a Vice and Virtue card. Any other number however and you miss 2 turns.

Brand New Teddy: Whenever you land on your own headstone, roll the die. If you roll a 1 or 2, take a Vice and Virtue card. Any other number however and you miss 1 turn.

Violent Ted: Whenever you land on your own headstone, roll the die. If you roll a 1 or 2, take two Vice and Virtue cards. Any other number however and you miss 1 turn.

Gevaudan:

Crescent Moon: If you have just been banished to the Black Hole, roll the die. If you roll a 6 you’re now released!

Quarter Moon: If you have just been banished to the Black Hole, roll the die. If you roll a 6 or 1 you’re now released!

Half Moon: If you have just been banished to the Black Hole, roll the die. If you roll a 6 release yourself and receive a free turn!

Full Moon: If you have just been banished to the Black Hole, roll the die. If you roll a 6 or 1, release yourself and receive a free turn!

Khufu:

One Pair: Whenever you land on a blank gravestone, roll the die and if you roll a one you may take a free turn!

Straight: Whenever you land on a blank gravestone, roll the die and if you roll a one or a six you may take a free turn!

Full House: Whenever you land on a blank or TIME gravestone, roll the die and if you roll a one or a six you may take a free turn!

Royal Flush: Whenever you land on a blank, TIME or CHANCE gravestone, roll the die and if you roll a one or a six you may take a free turn!

Anne de Chantraine:

Ruined Cauldron: Whenever you receive a Vice and Virtue card, you may roll the dice. If you roll your own number, banish the opponent of your choice to the black hole. Any other number however, and you must roll your number to play again.

Fixed Cauldron: Whenever you receive a Vice and Virtue card, you may roll the dice. If you roll your own number, you may banish the opponent of your choice to the black hole. Any other number however, and you miss a turn.

Bubbling Cauldron: Whenever you receive a Vice and Virtue card, you may roll the dice. If you roll your own number, banish the opponent of your choice to the black hole. Any opponent’s number, and they miss a turn.

Witches Cauldron: Whenever you receive a Vice and Virtue card, you may roll the dice. If you roll your own number, banish the opponent of your choice to the black hole and receive a free turn. Roll any opponent’s number, and they miss a turn
valveros
Toad
Toad

Postby valveros » Sun May 06, 2012 4:52 am

do you guys think these seem balanced?
would you consider some of the Harbingers to be overpowered lol?
thoughts please :)
valveros
Toad
Toad

Postby DarkWolff » Thu May 10, 2012 3:34 pm

I think they are a bit unbalanced in comparison to each other. For example:

Hellin & Gevaudan's triggers are the least likely to occur. Khufu's seems like it's the most likely to trigger.

Hellin and Anne's failure penalties are crippling. Anne's may be worth it, but I'm not so sure about Hellin's.

Gevaudan's Quarter Moon is better than his Half Moon (A better chance to get out of the Black Hole is better than a free turn).
You sound like the type of maggot that learnt to crawl before you walked but never got to the walking part. -- The Gatekeeper

please take one step forward - oh, and watch that first step, its a doozy, you are BANISHED! --The Gatekeeper...to me.
DarkWolff
Hosts
Hosts

Postby valveros » Fri May 11, 2012 2:27 am

DarkWolff wrote:I think they are a bit unbalanced in comparison to each other. For example:

Hellin & Gevaudan's triggers are the least likely to occur. Khufu's seems like it's the most likely to trigger.

Hellin and Anne's failure penalties are crippling. Anne's may be worth it, but I'm not so sure about Hellin's.

Gevaudan's Quarter Moon is better than his Half Moon (A better chance to get out of the Black Hole is better than a free turn).

Good, this is the exact kind of criticism i wanted to hear/read!
Yeah you're right on the Gevaudan one, i'd have to change that.
Maybe power down Khufu a lil...and make Anne's penalty only miss a turn (no roll your number)
And change Hellin's so she can use it on some other stones too...? Yeah.
It's hard trying to find a balance - need to make them useful but not overpowered and hardly used.
valveros
Toad
Toad

Postby DarkWolff » Mon May 14, 2012 9:15 pm

Yeah another trigger would help Hellin. I could see if the benefit was strong to have a hard trigger, but it didn't seem worth it to me.

DarkWolff
Hosts
Hosts

Return to Fan Games