Skip to content

Help with a design...

Ever created your own game or wanted to? Feel free to discuss it here!

Help with a design...

Postby valveros » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:33 am

Hey guys, slightly wierd request but would anyone here be willing to help me design a board for an Atmosfear board game (most likely in photoshop)? I'm thinking of making another one for Hellin.

Actually even if you can't, if you could suggest some ideas on how it could look would be great!
valveros
Toad
Toad

Re: Help with a design...

Postby DarkWolff » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:14 am

I actually suggest doing it in Illustrator instead of Photoshop. It will scale much better in Illustrator since it's vector-based and you could always convert it to a raster format (like PNG or JPG) if you needed it.

Are thinking of creating a board for Harbingers or Gatekeeper? If the latter then maybe make it looked like an old ruined playground, toy room, or doll house would work well.
You sound like the type of maggot that learnt to crawl before you walked but never got to the walking part. -- The Gatekeeper

please take one step forward - oh, and watch that first step, its a doozy, you are BANISHED! --The Gatekeeper...to me.
DarkWolff
Hosts
Hosts

Postby valveros » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:53 am

Thanks for the response!

One idea I had was to have the board set up with the players moving in a circular fashion akin to the original Nightmare games, but also have an outer ring you can walk along but only at certain times. It would be referred to as an alternate realm or something like that. To win you'd have to traverse both "realms" and pick up 6 "keys" (or whatever they will be called) from certain spaces on the board.

I was thinking of having Hellin announce when you can and can't traverse the other "realm" and having visual cues throughout the time screen (when the host is not around) indicating roughly how long you'd have to navigate this other realm before the time limit ended, effectively trapping you there (not sure on how that would progress).

Your ideas about the design of the board are great, is illustrator anything like photoshop? Can't say i've ever used it...
valveros
Toad
Toad

Postby DarkWolff » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:22 am

So basically you can't travel between the two realms all the time? That sounds pretty cool actually.

Illustrator is similar to Photoshop in some regards (they are both made by Adobe so there are similarities), but it is a different animal and takes a little getting used to. I'm passable in Photoshop but convinced my job to send me to a training class in Illustrator since it starts out slightly different.

Most objects are distinct from each other (sorta like everything having it's own layer in Photoshop, but not exactly). The Pen tool is also one of the most important tools in it as it creates paths which you can attach a ton of different effects. If you are working with raster images you may have better luck staying with Photoshop as you do things differently in Illustrator and it's a bit disconcerting at first (which I why I convinced my job to pay for training).

Example: To create a line in Illustrator you create the end points instead of the line, then you can change the properties for the line whenever you want. If you want to change the line you just change the properties or end points. To create an arc, you twist one or both of the end points so it bends the line.
You sound like the type of maggot that learnt to crawl before you walked but never got to the walking part. -- The Gatekeeper

please take one step forward - oh, and watch that first step, its a doozy, you are BANISHED! --The Gatekeeper...to me.
DarkWolff
Hosts
Hosts

Postby valveros » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:20 am

Sounds interesting! I'll have to give it a go.

One idea i've had is to get a bunch of building blocks (the ones with big letters on them) and use them as the spaces you'd move your playing pieces on. Set the blocks up how I would want the boardgame to look. Then take a birds eye angle photo of it on a white sheet and edit that with illustrator. Hopefully that would turn out well lol...
valveros
Toad
Toad

Postby valveros » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:40 am

Oh, and an idea i've had for the keys:

- Need six keys to win

- "HELLIN" is spelt with six letters

So you could collect every letter of her name, with each letter being a different color.
valveros
Toad
Toad

Postby DarkWolff » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:43 am

Sounds cool. What kind of powers would you have?

DarkWolff
Hosts
Hosts

Postby Khufu the Mummy » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:40 pm

I would recommend following suit with the rest of the series: using the master set but I guess it depends on your personal preferences.
Khufu the Mummy
Young One
Young One

Postby valveros » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:20 am

Hi guys, been working on a board since being informed of that gamecrafter website.
Shitty preview here, it looks a lot better close up.

So far the idea is you stay on the circle ring until Hellin gives you a time limit (5+ mins) to access the "H" road.
You access it/leave by landing on one of the "rattle" spaces, might be hard to tell what those are.
The red spaces are like the "stone marked x" spaces in the original game (If you're on one when Hellin appears on screen you may be punished),

Just wanting to know what you guys think can be improved on. Still planning to add possible "Duel" spaces and maybe some other types of card spaces. I want to make the "H" road look more sinister as well, since i'm wanting to refer to it as the "void" or "abyss" or what not. Any kind of feedback is welcome!
Attachments
board.jpg
Game board
valveros
Toad
Toad

Postby darkgaizat » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:19 am

I like the design so far. I might try to see what I can do with the base look. Make it look REALLY evil.

I'll get back with you.

darkgaizat
"The right man in the wrong place, can make all the difference in the world."
darkgaizat
Harbinger
Harbinger

Next

Return to Fan Games