Skip to content

The New Nightmare

Ever created your own game or wanted to? Feel free to discuss it here!

The New Nightmare

Postby darkgaizat » Sat May 04, 2013 11:25 pm

https://www.thegamecrafter.com/games/nightmare

The New Nightmare is now up for sale on the Game Crafter website!

Unboxing Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN4MIzZO5Eo&feature=youtu.be

Unboxing Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOqCHrdlVzY&feature=youtu.be

NOTE: I don't make anything off this, the bare minimum price for the Game Crafter to make is the bottom dollar. You might want to wait until you see the unboxing and hit me up to see if there's anything you think should be taken out to cut down on the cost. (I know it sounds like a lot $60, but it does have 7 game modes and can probably play with the original Atmosfear board as well, however I found a company that will make the custom board for $15 if anyone is interested.) I created 4 mats that come together to make the 20x30 board; on one side is a 20x30 Atmosfear styel board, the other is an 18x18 Nightmare board. (clockwise movement board like in Nightmare series and Atmosfear DVD game)

An unboxing and playtest video is on it's way. It should arrive Monday, so keep an eye out!

The NEW NIGHTMARE!!

I'm going to be posting pictures throughout the thread to show off what it's going to look like; the only thing not included (which isn't done yet anyways) is the DVD video HOWEVER the Atmosfear and first 2 Nightmare video's should work no problem; you just have to ignore any parts about the Soul Rangers (for now).

It was time this game had a reboot and went in a different direction than the DVD's went. So here is what my game entails. (I'm wondering if I should let out the spoilers...HECK YEAH!) I took what worked with all the games and left out ones that didn't work. Hopefully you will agree.

- 7 Game Types
- Standard Mode
- Elimination Mode (Players must dump their opponent's keys into the well of fears to eliminate them)
- Unsupervised Mode (No Gatekeeper, just 1 hour and a sand timer to play a universal Curse card (I'll get to that))
- Agenda Mode (Keys are not the objective to this game type. Getting things done on the checklist, that's the goal)0
- Soul Rangers! (It's time Mastiff was done right, dangit!) (Yes, Mastiff WILL be playable for 2 Game modes!)
- Atmosfear Mode (Race to be the first 3 Harbingers; remaining 3 become Soul Rangers, and now the Harbingers have a match on their hands) (Might come up with rules for a team game!)
- Atmosfear Team Mode - Soul Rangers vs the Harbingers in a Team Elimination match!

- The Characters have been re-vamped to more modern dark themes. (Pictures to follow)

- Fate Cards are IN

- Time cards are OUT! (Good idea, but poor implementation in the past) (Atmosfear didn't even have them. Too many cards in the playing area.)

- Curse Cards are played that affect every player in a specific Province or in the Unsupervised Mode, everyone in the game.

- Harbingers have key abilities like in Atmosfear, but one of the Key Powers is a Province Power (Affecting things that go on in their Province) and also there is a Skull Ability that applies when someone lands on a Skull space by rolling their number or rolling their number while ON the skull space.

- The BLACK Key is IN!

- The Ring Road is accessible at any time, HOWEVER, the special spaces play a little more harshly. (For those trying to stop a Harbinger from winning, should make things a little more interesting)
- Duel Space not only takes a key, but sends them back to the headstone
- Skull Space works on all Provinces if you have one of each key
- Compass space can only be moved to with Flight if you have one of each key
- Black Hole moves you to an outer Black Hole on the board

- Gates are IN!

- X Spaces are IN!

- Each Harbinger has their own exclusive Duel Die.

- The box set I have up to purchase has character pieces, BUT they aren’t the pieces from the original game. I SUGGEST YOU USE THE ONES FROM ATMOSFEAR. I had my brother paint up mine to make it unique to the game as I had an extra set I bought from ebay. Awesome picture of them to show off soon!

- Brand new unique board!

- Dice Dueling ONLY. (The cards made this WAY too complicated) Dueling can only happen in shared Province.

- Game mat that is used to organize cards on the table.

- Pre-Printed and Blank Nightmare cards. (I did this because the pre-printed ones don’t require a film to be put over the card for marking. Although Penny Sleeves are great for marking on with dry erase and produce the desired effect.)

- Raise the difficulty of the game! Each player has 8 keystones: 5 Keys, 1 Black Hole, 1 Trap, and a –key keystone) There are only 6 Key spaces in each Province so you can regulate how many keys each Province has at the beginning and have the ability to place negative ability ones on the field to make it more difficult. Up to the playing crowd.

- Soul Rangers are IN! (Atmosfear Mode) Play as Nof, Sep, Ja, Zass, Wok and Rott against the Harbingers!

- Backwards compatibility on Nightmare and Atmosfear videos.

Once it arrives in the mail, I will do a video unboxing to show what it will look like AND set up a Video (twitch.tv) and podcast the game being played, then post it up on the site!

SEE PICTURES BELOW!!!
Attachments
Nightmare.jpg
Box Cover Art
Baron2.jpg
Baron Harbinger Card
Baron2.jpg (160.51 KiB) Viewed 28254 times
Fate Back.jpg
Back of the Fate Card
Fate Back.jpg (95.95 KiB) Viewed 28254 times
Last edited by darkgaizat on Wed May 22, 2013 9:42 am, edited 24 times in total.
"The right man in the wrong place, can make all the difference in the world."
darkgaizat
Harbinger
Harbinger

Re: The New Nightmare

Postby MasterOfPuppets » Sun May 05, 2013 10:45 pm

Looks promising!
MasterOfPuppets
Hosts
Hosts

Postby DarkWolff » Mon May 06, 2013 10:02 am

I agree. I'm looking forward to seeing the fruits of your work!
You sound like the type of maggot that learnt to crawl before you walked but never got to the walking part. -- The Gatekeeper

please take one step forward - oh, and watch that first step, its a doozy, you are BANISHED! --The Gatekeeper...to me.
DarkWolff
Hosts
Hosts

Postby darkgaizat » Mon May 06, 2013 1:26 pm

Some More Pics. Again NOTE: These Player pawns do not come with the game, (although I have added player pieces that will work if need be)
Attachments
Baron Back.jpg
Back of Harbinger Cards
Baron Back.jpg (148.9 KiB) Viewed 28245 times
Curse Cards Back.jpg
Curse Cards Back
Curse Cards Back.jpg (63.06 KiB) Viewed 28245 times
Pawns.jpg
Painted Player Pawns
darkgaizat
Harbinger
Harbinger

Postby darkgaizat » Mon May 06, 2013 1:38 pm

More Pics
Attachments
Nightmare card back.jpg
Nightmare Card Back
Nightmare card back.jpg (106.01 KiB) Viewed 28245 times
Gevaudan Nightmare.jpg
Pre-Printed Nightmare Card
Gevaudan Nightmare.jpg (74.13 KiB) Viewed 28245 times
Blue Key.jpg
Key Cards
Blue Key.jpg (64.88 KiB) Viewed 28245 times
darkgaizat
Harbinger
Harbinger

Postby darkgaizat » Mon May 06, 2013 1:42 pm

I can't upload the Board pics (as it is too big) but will post more if you guys want to see more. Let me know! Thanks!

Will let you know when it becomes available on http://www.thegamecrafter.com (Should be in about 10 days!)

Let me know what you think!

darkgaizat
Attachments
Elimination Game 1.jpg
Game Mode Cards (for referencing)
Elimination Game 1.jpg (117.06 KiB) Viewed 28245 times
Mastiff 2.jpg
Mastiff!!!
Mastiff 2.jpg (85.92 KiB) Viewed 28245 times
Nightmare Mat Back.jpg
Back of the Card Mat
Nightmare Mat Back.jpg (124.09 KiB) Viewed 28245 times
darkgaizat
Harbinger
Harbinger

Postby DarkWolff » Mon May 06, 2013 4:24 pm

Your elimination game mode sounds really fun!

I finish it humorous that Gevaudan's playing piece looks even more like a shark fin painted then without. :lol: Oh what a weird choice for a playing piece.

And thanks for the link to Game Crafter. I'm working on a board game myself and would hope to be prototyping it sometime soon. Also I now realize the theme of the game is not dissimilar from Nightmare/Atmosfear (mages trying to escape the underworld).
You sound like the type of maggot that learnt to crawl before you walked but never got to the walking part. -- The Gatekeeper

please take one step forward - oh, and watch that first step, its a doozy, you are BANISHED! --The Gatekeeper...to me.
DarkWolff
Hosts
Hosts

Postby darkgaizat » Mon May 06, 2013 8:29 pm

Yeah, I'm still trying to come up with a decent instruction manual. (Though most of us know the rules pretty much already and need no introduction). I really wanted a more modern feel when it came to the characters and I think each one does it justice. The hardest one to do was Anne. I had a few to choose from, but do I go with hag or teen (she did die at 17) so I went with younger.
darkgaizat
Harbinger
Harbinger

Postby darkgaizat » Tue May 07, 2013 11:13 am

NEW: The Board shown below is the Small Game Board (18"x18"). The game will come with 2 Boards. The small is a one-way board (like original Nightmare and Atmosfear DVD board). The second board is a Large Game board which is 20"x30" and is a free-roam board, much like Atmosfear (VHS) board is and is more versatile to different game modes.

Just added Atmosfear Mode: Soul Rangers are back!!! (Now I'm officially putting in my order) (Need to stop adding stuff long enough to get the product!)
Attachments
Game Board 5.jpg
Small Game Board
Game Board 5.jpg (233.89 KiB) Viewed 28167 times
Soul Ranger 3b.jpg
Ja - Red Soul Ranger
Soul Ranger 3b.jpg (117.56 KiB) Viewed 28167 times
Nightmare Mat.jpg
Nithmare Card Mat
Nightmare Mat.jpg (138.71 KiB) Viewed 28240 times
Last edited by darkgaizat on Wed May 22, 2013 1:36 pm, edited 7 times in total.
darkgaizat
Harbinger
Harbinger

Postby MasterOfPuppets » Tue May 07, 2013 5:29 pm

This is quite impressive stuff, good work! Have we ever had a full fan game released to the public? I think all have either fallen through or been kept private.
MasterOfPuppets
Hosts
Hosts

Next

Return to Fan Games