Skip to content

How you acquired your copies of the games

Sometimes people like to discuss the how and where about how to get these great games. To keep the other topics less cluttered, please do so here.

How you acquired your copies of the games

Postby SavageXtreme » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:31 am

For the fans of this series, I'm rather curious as to how you got your copies of each of the Nightmare/Atmosfear stuff, whether it was when they were originally being sold, for your birthday, Xmas etc. however you got them, so I'll start things off.

Though I heard of the series in small instances as a kid, but never played them nor knew anyone whom owned them, I completely forgot them for years till February 2019 when a friend brought up his DVD copy of Atmosfear to play at a small gathering at my house, that's what prompted me to research everything about the series and set out the goal to find most of them, if not all of what was available in Australia. Keep in mind, the pricing I mention will be in AUD.

Around late May just three months after I first played it, Atmosfear DVD was the first game I got from Facebook Marketplace, from a seller whom lives an hour and 10 mins drive from my house, but took me nearly two hours by train and bus, scored it for $5. And since the person had more games also for $5 each, also got The Simpsons Board Game (circa 2000) as a bonus, so $10 total.

Within June, a collectable shop near my house was in the process of closing down and they had a copy of the DVD game, bought it anyway for $15 just for the thought incase someone I know might have wanted it.

Later in late July, found a Gumtree listing for Nightmare (original version that doesn't have Video Board Game on the front) selling for $25, managed to get it a few days later. During that same day after getting the game, just an hour and half later, went to a shopping mall into Savers (a op/thrift shop), headed to the board games section and by some pure luck and coincidence thinking I was hallucinating, found the three Nightmare expansions (Zombie, Witch and Vampire) for $4 each ($12 total, what a steal!). Definitely a rare oppurtunity, as there was no way I wouldn't get a chance like that again in my life.

October rolls around, and still haven't found a cheap copy of Harbingers until browsing on eBay and finding a seller who lives an hour drive away from me south of my house, and has a complete copy (save for no dice, pencil and paper but easily replaceable) of Harbingers for $22. Woulda been another $25 for shipping, but I insisted on picking up instead. Again no access to a car as I couldn't drive alone yet, so another train trip it was.

Its mid November, and on FB marketplace constantly searching more Atmosfear, and found someone selling the DVD version and Khufu for $20 together. The seller wanted them both gone, and said I could resell them seperately if I wanted. (My third copy of the DVD game!)

During Feb/Mar, as I mentioned an extra two copies of the DVD, those ended up going to new owners after holding them for a while. One of the copies I sold for $10 on FB, and the other went to a local community group that's into the retro gaming era, as few of the members heard of the series but never owned copies of the games. So I recommeneded the idea they could showcase it at future events (if COVID never happened :x), about a year or so later I contacted them back and they still never got around to playing it, but did give me $25 for it.

A while has passed on after not collecting anything new, but selling the extra copies. August approaches, and I finally find the card game and Harbingers booster tapes on Gumtree, but the seller lived outside my state but still posted them. Scored both together for $30, and conveniently arrived a day before my birthday.

Its October, while out and about hunting for decorations and props for a Halloween party I was going to the next weekend, popped by Savers and spotted a copy of Nightmare, but this time the revised version (VBG on the front). Checked inside, looked complete with all contents and scored it for $4. At that point I thought the tape had the altered video (with the Zombie promo), but turned out to be the original version. Perhaps the other video wasn't available in Aust.

Not so much was spotted, but during August in Savers for yet again more op shop hunting (as I get other things like shirts and VHS tapes), saw two copies of Atmosfear DVD and one Khufu, all selling $5-6 each, definitely bargain material. Since I'm a regular attendee of a board games club at one of the univerties in the city, bought one of the Atmosfears and it now sits in the club's locker for other people to use, and so far there's been success in appeal. I do tend to bring a small TV and PS2 just to play it, since the club doesn't have that kind of equiptment.

End (for now)

So far, I think that's about it for my collection of how I got these games! If you got any fascinating stories on how you got your copies, do leave something down below! Might post another update if I manage to get something new, I've also got some t-shirts based on the series (mostly custom made), but might make a seperate forum for that.
Last edited by SavageXtreme on Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Banished to the blaghole...MAGGOT!
SavageXtreme
Harbinger
Harbinger

Re: How you acquired your copies of the games

Postby DarkWolff » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:25 am

I received the original Nightmare as a gift after seeing it on commercials. I played it a ton with family and friends. My game came with a form to fill out and preorder Nightmare 2, which we did. Nightmare 3 was the first one I bought with my own money, and we played that somewhat too. My group preferred Baron for gameplay and Nightmare 1 for theme (I still think Nightmare is the creepiest).

Some time later a friend of mine told me he saw a commercial for Harbingers. I honestly didn't believe him but didn't say so. Literally an hour later we saw a commercial for it and was ecstatic. We played the game like crazy, loving every minute of it. My game came with a form to order the booster tape, so I did that immediately. Years later I'd get the 2nd booster when someone in the community kindly offered to send it to me!

It was around the same time I managed to track down a copy of Nightmare 4, and we played that one like crazy too. "Turn to page 8!" was jokingly parroted often, and it still comes up occasionally. Years later I'd also get Atmosfear 4, because it has a different set of cards and slightly improved vampire rules. I can still remember having a video chat with Exulus, with him showing me the cards!

Soul Rangers I ordered on the internet somewhere. It was very hard to find around then. We played this game the least because I kinda ruined it for the group my always playing Woks and literally stealing everyone cards each time we play. I also know a little slight of hand, so people had to go to great lengths to secure their cards. I even stole cards with my feet without getting caught. It was around this time I started my original Atmosfear site and Marr0w, Faust and I met.

Next was the PC game. I know I ordered that too, but remember searching the internet for a month until I found a foreign site that sold it...it was so hard to find at that time! Well, I also started temping at the US Post office and I literally sorted the package with my name on it. I asked my boss if I can just take it home, but he said I couldn't. I had to wait the extra day to play it! I played this solo mostly...I think I played it with someone else twice.

I think I got the card game after the PC game from ebay. It's a decent game, though it's basically a hearts/spades clone.

Khufu I ordered from the UK and used my Playstation to play it till I made the mistake of updating it, then we used a region-free laptop player. Now I have a region-free bluray player.

The rest of the games I got when they were new but have no interesting stories about.
You sound like the type of maggot that learnt to crawl before you walked but never got to the walking part. -- The Gatekeeper

please take one step forward - oh, and watch that first step, its a doozy, you are BANISHED! --The Gatekeeper...to me.
DarkWolff
Hosts
Hosts

Postby SavageXtreme » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:24 pm

A few odd things I forgot to mention:

When getting my copy of Harbingers, the seller was worried the tape wasn't going to work, even though I brought up the fact the videos are available on YouTube. They oddly would offer a refund, due to still not understanding the YT lifehack, and I declined anyway since I didn't wanna go hunting for another copy. But as I got home, tested the tape out and still worked like a charm.

After getting my second copy of Nightmare, the people whom I saw at the Halloween party, I mentioned in the FB chat what game to bring, and few said the DVD version. Since that was the case, I ended up bringing that along instead, since the people mentioned that's the one they knew the most from when they were younger.
Last edited by SavageXtreme on Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
SavageXtreme
Harbinger
Harbinger

Postby SavageXtreme » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:34 pm

DarkWolff wrote:Soul Rangers I ordered on the internet somewhere. It was very hard to find around then.

Next was the PC game. I know I ordered that too, but remember searching the internet for a month until I found a foreign site that sold it.

I think I got the card game after the PC game from ebay. It's a decent game, though it's basically a hearts/spades clone.

They never sold Soul Rangers in Aust., but I'm unsure if I really wanna get it.

Third Dimension might just have to be one of the more rarer and expensive items, and its hardly anywhere online compared to Nightmare IV, often selling for $100 or more. I think there's a website that had the game available for download, but has a paying fee for the download serivce.

Prior to getting my copy of the card game, I found one online within the same city I live in, but passed up due to missing a few cards and one dice, since there were no sources and scans of the contents at the time.
SavageXtreme
Harbinger
Harbinger

Postby DarkWolff » Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:39 pm

The gameplay portion of Soul Ranger is really good but the video detracts from it somewhat. I've always want to try to play with both Harbingers and Special Rangers but never did.
You sound like the type of maggot that learnt to crawl before you walked but never got to the walking part. -- The Gatekeeper

please take one step forward - oh, and watch that first step, its a doozy, you are BANISHED! --The Gatekeeper...to me.
DarkWolff
Hosts
Hosts

Return to Purchasing