Skip to content

Background Music

Talk about anything not Nightmare/Atmosfear related here.

Should we add auto-playing music to the wiki?

Awesome! Yes!
20%
Hell no.
20%
Maybe if I could turn it off?
40%
It doesn't work for me.
20%

Total votes : 5

Background Music

Postby marr0w » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:38 pm

I realized with the Atmosfear soundtrack being hosted on the Internet Archive we could add the soundtrack file as an auto-playing element on the wiki. How do you guys feel about it?

Demo: http://marrowproductions.com/WoF/wiki/i ... =Demo_Page
"...boredom, a dangerous and deadly tool..."

marr0w
Hosts
Hosts

Re: Background Music

Postby DarkWolff » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:02 am

Speaking as someone who used autoplay music on his website back in the day, I don't think it's a great idea today unless the user can turn in on (instead of off). Maybe it's just me but these days I find it annoying when a website automatically plays music. Very often you can turn it off, but when you navigate to another page it starts again.
You sound like the type of maggot that learnt to crawl before you walked but never got to the walking part. -- The Gatekeeper

please take one step forward - oh, and watch that first step, its a doozy, you are BANISHED! --The Gatekeeper...to me.
DarkWolff
Hosts
Hosts

Postby Nons » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:52 pm

At first I voted "If I could turn it off" because I saw another Atmosfear site once that used the same feature, it was painful

I just visited the demo page, and using the Harbingers/Third Dimension music was an absolutely phenomenal choice!
Mummy on the Move!
Nons
Old One
Old One

Postby Vicious » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:38 am

I tried the demo page and there was no music at all for me :?
Otherwise, as a Firefox user, I can mute the sound from any tab if it bothers me, so the background music would be a big YES for me :)
"EH L'AFFREUX, J'TE BRANCHE !?"
Vicious
Numbskull
Numbskull

Postby marr0w » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:52 pm

I'm not sure why it wouldn't work on Firefox. When I tested it on my end it played fine. (Of course it is a 95Mb file trying to stream in the background, slow connections might have issues.) It's banking on the idea that we can stream that much data these days fairly quickly. The only browser I've seen issue with it is IE11 which tries to download the file instead.

Personally I've always been big on the idea of having media grabbing your attention when you visit a site so long as it's the correct attention. Old angelfire/geocities sites and their lovely midis where one thing, but never have we had the actual Atmosfear music available for something like this and now that's an actual possibility. The only times I've been against it are when it's totally inappropriate. I hate video files playing while I'm trying to read something because it's distracting. But this is the actual Atmosfear music playing on a site dedicated to Atmosfear!! If anything I'd say it adds to the experience.

I'll try to see if I can't come across a media player plugin and hide a small control box somewhere, but I wanted to gauge opinions before going through those steps. However the solution as it sits now on the test page doesn't rely on third party extensions which means less of a security risk to visitors. Of course I'd still have to see if I can set it in a main part of the page so it doesn't refresh each time you click something...

marr0w
Hosts
Hosts

Postby MasterOfPuppets » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:10 pm

If you do implement it, it may be a good idea to have it off on mobile browsers for those with data caps.
MasterOfPuppets
Hosts
Hosts

Postby marr0w » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:09 pm

Point. I don't know if I can do that with my level of expertise, but I'll look into it.

marr0w
Hosts
Hosts

Return to General Discussion