Skip to content

Arguing semantics - Game Eras

Talk about anything not Nightmare/Atmosfear related here.

Arguing semantics - Game Eras

Postby marr0w » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:58 pm

Okay, so thus far we have referred to the original games as "VHS" and the later ones as "DVD". Now we have a third section currently listed on the forums as "Upcoming series". To be fair, that only works until the upcoming games are released...

I started thinking, "Well, we could rename it '2019 games'" but that doesn't sound right. We could call it Generation 3, but then we should probably go back and make Harbingers, Soul Rangers, Third Dimension, and the Card Game Generation 2 - and the new stuff Generation 4. x_X Guh. You see where this is going, yet?

So speak up! What do you guys think of this? How would you designate things? In some ways this seems to be a Gen 3.5 if we're getting a re-release of The Gatekeeper. Should we still just lump then into "DVDs"? Should we group things by company?? We should probably get this figured out before more surprises come rolling down the line.
"...boredom, a dangerous and deadly tool..."

marr0w
Hosts
Hosts

Re: Arguing semantics - Game Eras

Postby MasterOfPuppets » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:51 pm

I feel it may be a good idea to see what exactly we are getting and the move from there. Could the Interactive Version fit in the DVD section? Yes, but I feel it would better fit in a an "App Series", should there be more than one game coming that would fit that criteria.
MasterOfPuppets
Hosts
Hosts

Postby DarkWolff » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:56 pm

I often refer to the series as iterations. We could either call it the 4th iteration or the App version.
You sound like the type of maggot that learnt to crawl before you walked but never got to the walking part. -- The Gatekeeper

please take one step forward - oh, and watch that first step, its a doozy, you are BANISHED! --The Gatekeeper...to me.
DarkWolff
Hosts
Hosts

Postby marr0w » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:25 pm

The more I sit on it, yeah. App Series might be the way to go, or even Interactive Era. VHS Era, DVD Era, Interactive Era...

Iterations could work too. I just like Generations as it seems so very 80's/90's what with Transformers, Star Trek, and all that.
"...boredom, a dangerous and deadly tool..."

marr0w
Hosts
Hosts

Postby Nons » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:42 am

Personally I didn't see an issue with "Upcoming Games" because it was a relevant and gets the point across until we know enough to categorise it

If it comes with a DVD/Blu Ray as well as the app, that'd be tricky, but if not then I'm fine with "App Series" :)
Mummy on the Move!
Nons
Old One
Old One

Postby DarkWolff » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:25 am

Should we consider merging the DVD and VHS forums and adding an App-based forum? This way we'll have a "latest" forum and a legacy forum.
You sound like the type of maggot that learnt to crawl before you walked but never got to the walking part. -- The Gatekeeper

please take one step forward - oh, and watch that first step, its a doozy, you are BANISHED! --The Gatekeeper...to me.
DarkWolff
Hosts
Hosts

Postby Nons » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:18 am

DarkWolff wrote:Should we consider merging the DVD and VHS forums and adding an App-based forum? This way we'll have a "latest" forum and a legacy forum.

I'm personally against that- the VHS and DVD forums have very different topics, so keeping them sorted like that works very well

VHS, DVD and App forums could work fine separately, however I can see why there's a need to discuss it :) So whatever the majority vote is, that's fine by me
Mummy on the Move!
Nons
Old One
Old One

Return to General Discussion