Skip to content

What kind of 'host' do you prefer?

Talk about anything not Nightmare/Atmosfear related here.

What kind of 'host' do you prefer?

Postby sweatyjumper » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:48 pm

So I played the Khufu game for the first time the other day, and I was surprised how....nice the character was. The writing was really jokey and upbeat. I guess I am used to the older games where you were insulted the whole time. I was also surprised that I didn't mind the change as much as I thought I would. Something about Khufus demeanour gave the character a bit of charisma that some of the other games didn't have, but that might just be me.

I guess my question is this; Do you prefer it when the games play it mostly for horror, or when they deliberately make it more cheesy/comedic?

Do you think they could actually make a new Atmosfear game that genuinely scared people? (other than kids of course)
sweatyjumper
Numbskull
Numbskull

Re: What kind of 'host' do you prefer?

Postby sweatyjumper » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:04 am

Also I'm aware that this forum is pretty dormant, but hopefully with the new game coming out a few more people will log on :D
sweatyjumper
Numbskull
Numbskull

Postby Nons » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:06 am

Really good question! I actually like Khufu when I wanna play a game that's more focused on Universe building if that makes sense?

Honestly for me it's got to be Whitney Gatekeeper just based on how damn quotable he is :lol:
The upcoming Atmosfear game looks like it's going to try and be genuinely creepy, which I'm looking forward to. I can see why people don't like the cheesy aspect, but personally I find it fun!

Also the forum seems to be coming back! I joined last year when it was completely dormant, so a post once a month or so, but now we're getting some traffic back :D
Mummy on the Move!
Nons
Old One
Old One

Postby DarkWolff » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:58 am

I prefer creepy but I don't mind Khufu at all. Variety is the spice of life and all.
You sound like the type of maggot that learnt to crawl before you walked but never got to the walking part. -- The Gatekeeper

please take one step forward - oh, and watch that first step, its a doozy, you are BANISHED! --The Gatekeeper...to me.
DarkWolff
Hosts
Hosts

Postby marr0w » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:22 pm

I've not been able to play Khufu because my DVD players hate me, but personally I think I prefer the hard line between the two extremes. When it goes too far jokey (Samedi for example) I just can't take it seriously, but when it goes too serious everyone always cracks jokes and the seriousness is lost. Personally my favorite was Harbinger's Gatekeeper. He was equal parts goofy and serious. DVD Gatekeeper felt like he was trying too hard instead of being his own thing. I would like to see one host go for all out horror movie darkness just once, but it doesn't seem like it'd be very fun. Again, that sorta falls into too serious.
"...boredom, a dangerous and deadly tool..."

marr0w
Hosts
Hosts

Postby DarkWolff » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:09 am

When we played often, my group loved Baron Samedi. I don't think it's good if everything is silly, but you gotta have some silly now and then. I second the want for an all out horror. The closest to it was the original game but I would love to see it go further.
You sound like the type of maggot that learnt to crawl before you walked but never got to the walking part. -- The Gatekeeper

please take one step forward - oh, and watch that first step, its a doozy, you are BANISHED! --The Gatekeeper...to me.
DarkWolff
Hosts
Hosts

Return to General Discussion