Skip to content

30th Anniversary Coming Up...Plans?

Talk about anything not Nightmare/Atmosfear related here.

30th Anniversary Coming Up...Plans?

Postby BonsaiTreehouse » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:35 am

As far as the internet recalls, The Video Board Game Nightmare/Atmosfear was first unleashed upon the VCR players of the world on September 1991 (can't seem to pin down an exact date), which will be about 30 years by the time we reach September of this year.

What to do to mark such a momentous occasion as this? Does everyone have their own special little plans, or are you secretly pining for something bigger and more involved to make good on?
"I know why you never crack a smile...it would crack mirrors."
BonsaiTreehouse
Harbinger
Harbinger

Re: 30th Anniversary Coming Up...Plans?

Postby DarkWolff » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:59 am

Wow, I hadn't realized that. Maybe I'll make it a goal to release my fan expansion by then. I've started to work on it but it will take a lot of time
You sound like the type of maggot that learnt to crawl before you walked but never got to the walking part. -- The Gatekeeper

please take one step forward - oh, and watch that first step, its a doozy, you are BANISHED! --The Gatekeeper...to me.
DarkWolff
Hosts
Hosts

Postby Nons » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:26 am

Likewise, some will be aware but I've been making a full blown video game for the backstories- it'll take quite some time, but we'll see!
Mummy on the Move!
Nons
Old One
Old One

Postby BonsaiTreehouse » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:44 am

Hmm, I myself have been throwing around the idea of an "unofficial" sourcebook for the Atmosfear series as a whole in place of the cancelled harbingers one (I tried contacting the supposed writer-to-be via email at the beginning of this year but they never responded).

Basically I would start by taking all the mysterious throwaway lines from the series made to sound all spooky and whatnot and use them to help try building a cohesive understanding of the setting and the characters therein.

For e.g. the way the Gatekeeper describes the Other Side as "another state of mind" and how the Atmosfear game rules describe it as "a place we only visit in our worst nightmares": this (among other things) tells me that the Other Side is a place constructed from the thoughts of humanity (conscious and deceased alike) stitched together into a collective dream world that's constantly being influenced and shifted around by those same thoughts and memories. Think of it as a mix between The Land of the Dead from Pixar's Coco and the The Unseen World from The Wheel of Time book series.

So, lots of real head-canony stuff.
"I know why you never crack a smile...it would crack mirrors."
BonsaiTreehouse
Harbinger
Harbinger

Postby Nons » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:24 am

BonsaiTreehouse wrote:Hmm, I myself have been throwing around the idea of an "unofficial" sourcebook for the Atmosfear series as a whole in place of the cancelled harbingers one

Duuude, very nice!
Give me a shout if you're feeling a Collab on making it? I've been thinking about the narrative for years!

My idea on the other side is pretty close to yours, only that it's been heavily implied on the DVD Gatekeeper Bio that the Other Side is a prison, but this fits into your description- a prison that fits the fears of anyone occupying it? Like the Boggart from Harry Potter?
Mummy on the Move!
Nons
Old One
Old One

Postby SavageXtreme » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:18 am

Well I'm not sure if I can exactly get it to happen around the 30th ann., but a goal would be to play all the games (at least the ones I own). I've played Atmosfear DVD close to 10 times and Nightmare once. But last year at a Halloween party after playing my DVD copy, I did tell my friends about the VHS games before, and they'd be keen to try them all out when there's a good chance of availability. My plan is to see if its possible to play at least two games for one night if nothing else collides.
Banished to the blaghole...MAGGOT!
SavageXtreme
Harbinger
Harbinger

Return to General Discussion