Skip to content

Other VHS board games

You love them, you hate them, you own them, you make them. Let the games begin...

Re: Other VHS board games

Postby marr0w » Mon May 24, 2021 3:53 pm

While it might be in English, officially there was no Region 1 release. The disk itself is region locked and I don't have the money to bypass that restriction (like buying a region-free player for example). A lot of DVD players can change regions but you're only allowed to do it so many times before it locks itself permanently. I know there are other methods I could probably try to get it running but it's a huge chore just to play a 45 minute game when I have to struggle just to get enough people to play the other games that can be played at any time.

If it had been a Region 0 release it wouldn't have been an issue, but the only copies you can get are Region 2.
"...boredom, a dangerous and deadly tool..."

marr0w
Hosts
Hosts

Postby SavageXtreme » Tue May 25, 2021 3:05 am

marr0w wrote:If it had been a Region 0 release it wouldn't have been an issue, but the only copies you can get are Region 2.

You'd think they'd at least have a reason not to release Khufu outside of Aust. and the UK, but come to think of it after eBay browsing a few times, I don't think we got a Soul Rangers release in Aust. despite the series originating here. They just can't seem to get everything out there for each continent just so anyone living wherever can collect things easily.
Banished to the blaghole...MAGGOT!
SavageXtreme
Harbinger
Harbinger

Postby BonsaiTreehouse » Tue May 25, 2021 9:45 am

These things can usually be pinned down to performing below sales expectations or not finding a compatible audience in other regions. It's also why I'm assuming the rollout for "App-mosfear" was so slow. America is a huge continent with states bigger than most other countries, so it probably makes sense to start rollouts in smaller regions and slowly work outwards from there if it's successful enough to warrant the marketing push.

Here's another observation: If it doesn't start in Australia, initial distribution of later games seem to increasingly target Spanish-speaking regions of Europe, as was the case with the region-locked Atmosfear: Express. Spain was also one of the first countries to receive the new App-mosfear release before the UK, Ireland and most other European countries. In addition, it boasts the most retail outlets from which to purchase that game by far.

Perhaps there is a deep reservoir of Spanish Atmosfear fans we have yet to make acquaintance with...? :shock:
"I know why you never crack a smile...it would crack mirrors."
BonsaiTreehouse
Harbinger
Harbinger

Postby DarkWolff » Tue May 25, 2021 9:58 am

The DVD was never available in the US. We can import it, but since the DVD is tagged with a different region it won't play without a region free player.
You sound like the type of maggot that learnt to crawl before you walked but never got to the walking part. -- The Gatekeeper

please take one step forward - oh, and watch that first step, its a doozy, you are BANISHED! --The Gatekeeper...to me.
DarkWolff
Hosts
Hosts

Postby SavageXtreme » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:40 am

ThatWidescreenGuy wrote:Hold up. Sorry for being slightly off-topic, but what's the problem with Khufu? I thought it existed in English and it's clearly not a problem with purchasing it since you said you own it...

A tad late but to answer your question, yes Khufu is English. But what Marr0w means by "can't play it", he lives in the US. The game was only released in a few PAL regions, that being the UK and Australia, so its not that easily playable in NTSC regions.

EDIT: Just saw DarkWolff's comment above, but thought I'd summarise it more.
Banished to the blaghole...MAGGOT!
SavageXtreme
Harbinger
Harbinger

Previous

Return to Other Games