Skip to content

Common already!

Discuss your love/hate for the original game series as well as any new updates. Anything prior to the DVD games would go here, this includes the Third Dimension and the Card Games.

Re: Common already!

Postby DarkWolff » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:31 pm

It would take more time to properly explain than I have right now, but wanted to at least respond before I forgot.

The collection aspects are something many games have, but if you could develop the "host" of the game along similar lines to how MMO bosses are created. FPS of 2dgames would work well like this (with 2d games having a UI advantage for what I thought of).
You sound like the type of maggot that learnt to crawl before you walked but never got to the walking part. -- The Gatekeeper

please take one step forward - oh, and watch that first step, its a doozy, you are BANISHED! --The Gatekeeper...to me.
DarkWolff
Hosts
Hosts

Postby marr0w » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:47 pm

Hmmm... randomization of the archive copies...

Y'know, we could take apart Nightmare I and break ye olde Gatekeeper into individual clips. He goes through, what? Three? Four full makeups? We'll call those chapters. Each clip of each chapter could be randomized. We'd need to create a new timer though. If you mixed up all of the chapters he'd randomly change form which would look terrible.

Alternatively - I've said it before and I'll say it again, the easiest way would be to create a 60 minute "visualizer" with music and then randomly insert the Gatekeeper using just his eyes and have over them the audio from 'The Third Dimension'. We could easily populate multiple 60 minute viewings, and if you did it in something like flash you could completely randomize the video clips every time.

Truth be told, we could abuse YouTube for this as well. Uploading an hour long video shouldn't be much of a problem. Plus, we're not technically stealing anything or giving over to public domain a 1:1 copy of one of the existing games. Make a channel, upload a few dozen variations, and have a new game each time.

Just some random suggestions.
"...boredom, a dangerous and deadly tool..."

marr0w
Hosts
Hosts

Postby valveros » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:07 am

marr0w wrote:Hmmm... randomization of the archive copies...

Y'know, we could take apart Nightmare I and break ye olde Gatekeeper into individual clips. He goes through, what? Three? Four full makeups? We'll call those chapters. Each clip of each chapter could be randomized. We'd need to create a new timer though. If you mixed up all of the chapters he'd randomly change form which would look terrible.

Alternatively - I've said it before and I'll say it again, the easiest way would be to create a 60 minute "visualizer" with music and then randomly insert the Gatekeeper using just his eyes and have over them the audio from 'The Third Dimension'. We could easily populate multiple 60 minute viewings, and if you did it in something like flash you could completely randomize the video clips every time.

Truth be told, we could abuse YouTube for this as well. Uploading an hour long video shouldn't be much of a problem. Plus, we're not technically stealing anything or giving over to public domain a 1:1 copy of one of the existing games. Make a channel, upload a few dozen variations, and have a new game each time.

Just some random suggestions.

Is there enough audio on the 3rd dimension game? I have a copy of that one Vlame made back in 2010 I think, and there is a lot of repeated audio (no offense to Vlame, he did a great job). Or did he not use all the audio?
valveros
Toad
Toad

Postby valveros » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:11 am

Another thing I was thinking, what if Brett Clements and co put the new Atmosfear game up on kickstarter?
I guess it would depend on how much they need vs how many people actually remember/find the games interesting. Would be so cool though if they put a trailer up with a new Gatekeeper telling all you maggots to make a pledge lol.
valveros
Toad
Toad

Postby DarkWolff » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:27 am

marr0w wrote:Hmmm... randomization of the archive copies...[snip]

I seriously had a discussion about this very thing on Tuesday after playing a game of Harbingers with people who've never seen the 2nd booster tape. "Wait, you have a video where I don't know what's going to happen? Can we play?" Hell, I ever suggested going the PC game route and just using the eyes for exactly the reasons you suggest. (Oh god, please tell me aliens aren't involved). Mining all available sources would be great, and you are right flash would be super easy to use to get what we want (I didn't think of that!). We could even pull background music from the PC game's soundtrack (which is 74 minutes long).

valveros wrote:Another thing I was thinking, what if Brett Clements and co put the new Atmosfear game up on kickstarter?
I guess it would depend on how much they need vs how many people actually remember/find the games interesting. Would be so cool though if they put a trailer up with a new Gatekeeper telling all you maggots to make a pledge lol.

That would be awesome, but only if they had a good new version. Each of the game's incarnations (Nightmare, Harbingers, Gatekeeper, even Khufu) were different in some way from each other while still touching on the same themes and gameplay decisions. There's some more design space left for the themes that haven't been tapped so I think there is still room for a game if it's done right.
You sound like the type of maggot that learnt to crawl before you walked but never got to the walking part. -- The Gatekeeper

please take one step forward - oh, and watch that first step, its a doozy, you are BANISHED! --The Gatekeeper...to me.
DarkWolff
Hosts
Hosts

Postby Khufu the Mummy » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:33 pm

I'm making my own fan Khufu game, progress is updated rarely (but still sometimes) on www.khufuiscoming.webs.com, although I update my progress more on this forum, with the most dedicated fans, and I know a lot more ppl read this than go to my site. If you want to check the progress, I have a thread in the fan games.
Khufu the Mummy
Young One
Young One

Previous

Return to Original Series (VHS Era)