Skip to content

1080p versions of the VHS Tapes

Discuss your love/hate for the original game series as well as any new updates. Anything prior to the DVD games would go here, this includes the Third Dimension and the Card Games.

1080p versions of the VHS Tapes

Postby darkgaizat » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:13 pm

Hey. I know people haven't been on in nearly a year, but if you get this message, I'm re-recording all the videos in 1080p 60fps. Hope everyone's doing well.
-Darkgaizat
"The right man in the wrong place, can make all the difference in the world."
darkgaizat
Harbinger
Harbinger

Re: 1080p versions of the VHS Tapes

Postby MasterOfPuppets » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:11 pm

I can understand upscaling, but what is the point of making it 60 FPS when the tape is in 29.97 FPS? I realize, since it's interlaced there are about 60 fields per second, but those are a half frame.
MasterOfPuppets
Hosts
Hosts

Postby DarkWolff » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:54 pm

I still lurk around here, but obviously there hasn't been much to talk about. Upscaling sounds really good, but wouldn't there still be a quality degradation due to the age of the tapes? Are you planning to put the video on a BluRay?
You sound like the type of maggot that learnt to crawl before you walked but never got to the walking part. -- The Gatekeeper

please take one step forward - oh, and watch that first step, its a doozy, you are BANISHED! --The Gatekeeper...to me.
DarkWolff
Hosts
Hosts

Postby darkgaizat » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:42 pm

DarkWolff wrote:I still lurk around here, but obviously there hasn't been much to talk about. Upscaling sounds really good, but wouldn't there still be a quality degradation due to the age of the tapes? Are you planning to put the video on a BluRay?

Yeah. I do want to do that. It still looks like VHS, I don’t think degredation is avoidable, but overall it’s been good. The way I captured it before was DV quality, so it probably was good enough, but wanted to go just a bit higher to see if it was worth it. I like it.

Not going to lie. I miss this forum.
Last edited by darkgaizat on Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
darkgaizat
Harbinger
Harbinger

Postby darkgaizat » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:45 pm

MasterOfPuppets wrote:I can understand upscaling, but what is the point of making it 60 FPS when the tape is in 29.97 FPS? I realize, since it's interlaced there are about 60 fields per second, but those are a half frame.

Overkill, maybe. My capture card allows for it, so I’m just doing it that way. It looks pretty good.
darkgaizat
Harbinger
Harbinger

Postby MasterOfPuppets » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:16 am

It would be interesting to know if the masters still exist for the tapes, and what format they were recorded on. I wonder if a native HD transfer could be made...
MasterOfPuppets
Hosts
Hosts

Postby darkgaizat » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:35 pm

That would rock. BTW how does one get the remaining 4 keys on this site? LOL I'll keep playing until I get them.
darkgaizat
Harbinger
Harbinger

Postby DarkWolff » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:20 am

darkgaizat wrote:
DarkWolff wrote:I still lurk around here, but obviously there hasn't been much to talk about. Upscaling sounds really good, but wouldn't there still be a quality degradation due to the age of the tapes? Are you planning to put the video on a BluRay?

Yeah. I do want to do that. It still looks like VHS, I don’t think degredation is avoidable, but overall it’s been good. The way I captured it before was DV quality, so it probably was good enough, but wanted to go just a bit higher to see if it was worth it. I like it.

Not going to lie. I miss this forum.

Well, I'd love like to see what they'd look like, but I'll take your word for it if you think it's worth it! I miss this place a ton myself. That's why I still lurk here. When things are slow @ work I just on to see if anything is new. I'm really hoping for a modern take on the series to come out. I've had a number of ideas inspired by the series myself. I haven't really had the time to work on them though; I enjoy the time with my gf and we sure spend a ton of time together. :)

MasterOfPuppets wrote:It would be interesting to know if the masters still exist for the tapes, and what format they were recorded on. I wonder if a native HD transfer could be made...

I'd wager they still exist. The DVD would likely be digital, but the VHS ones might be in an analog format.

darkgaizat wrote:That would rock. BTW how does one get the remaining 4 keys on this site? LOL I'll keep playing until I get them.

I have no idea what you are talking about. ;)
You sound like the type of maggot that learnt to crawl before you walked but never got to the walking part. -- The Gatekeeper

please take one step forward - oh, and watch that first step, its a doozy, you are BANISHED! --The Gatekeeper...to me.
DarkWolff
Hosts
Hosts

Postby darkgaizat » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:57 pm

:twisted: NO IDEA...NONE... ;)
darkgaizat
Harbinger
Harbinger

Postby marr0w » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:33 am

darkgaizat wrote:BTW how does one get the remaining 4 keys on this site?

Hahahaha! Depends on how badly you want them.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Rank titles and number of posts.
"...boredom, a dangerous and deadly tool..."

marr0w
Hosts
Hosts

Next

Return to Original Series (VHS Era)