Skip to content

Unreleased Atmosfear Video Game Prototype Discovered!

Discuss your love/hate for the original game series as well as any new updates. Anything prior to the DVD games would go here, this includes the Third Dimension and the Card Games.

Unreleased Atmosfear Video Game Prototype Discovered!

Postby MasterOfPuppets » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:04 pm

So it turns out there was an Atmosfear video game in development for the SNES in 1994, it is not a board game as you would expect however. It was cancelled for unknown reasons, but given in 1994 the series saw lower sales which would lead the series to be rebooted, I'm guessing that had a part to play in it. A prototype has surfaced recently so we can see what the game would have been like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwKCEG2lBgs

http://hiddenpalace.org/News/Atmosfear_/_NightMare
MasterOfPuppets
Hosts
Hosts

Re: Unreleased Atmosfear Video Game Prototype Discovered!

Postby Nons » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:06 am

Funny that this should surface while I’m creating an extremely similar version (only it’s a top-down RPG)

Might just be because it was unfinished but I’m guessing it was canned due to declining sales and because it looks so frustrating to play... great concept, but could have been handled very differently

Makes me happy that all of this stuff is coming to light though!! And the menu music is a banger
Mummy on the Move!
Nons
Old One
Old One

Postby Nons » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:19 pm

Nons wrote:the menu music is a banger

https://youtu.be/X4XX3WiAGyU
Couldn't resist :lol:
Mummy on the Move!
Nons
Old One
Old One

Postby DarkWolff » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:53 pm

Wow I had no idea! It seems weird that it's a kid running around the Other Side with a gun. I kinda seems like a homebrew but I guess it WAS unfinished. Someone should complete this.

Edit: I gave it a try and it's VERY unfinished. I fell down a pit In the Forest Le Gevaudan and got banished to the black hole, which sends you back to the map. Next, in the Cathedral of Jive, I had to find some coins to pay the bouncers to let me progress through the level. If you don't pay them they literally toss you back. Then the Gatekeeper gave me a choice between 4 skulls. I guess I pick wrong because he asked me if I was feeling weak and drained all my health, killing me. :lol:

As for powerups, the numbskulls give you a little health. I don't know what the d6s do yet. I'll probably try some more levels later on.
You sound like the type of maggot that learnt to crawl before you walked but never got to the walking part. -- The Gatekeeper

please take one step forward - oh, and watch that first step, its a doozy, you are BANISHED! --The Gatekeeper...to me.
DarkWolff
Hosts
Hosts

Postby valveros » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:01 pm

DarkWolff wrote:Wow I had no idea! It seems weird that it's a kid running around the Other Side with a gun. I kinda seems like a homebrew but I guess it WAS unfinished. Someone should complete this.

Edit: I gave it a try and it's VERY unfinished. I fell down a pit In the Forest Le Gevaudan and got banished to the black hole, which sends you back to the map. Next, in the Cathedral of Jive, I had to find some coins to pay the bouncers to let me progress through the level. If you don't pay them they literally toss you back. Then the Gatekeeper gave me a choice between 4 skulls. I guess I pick wrong because he asked me if I was feeling weak and drained all my health, killing me. :lol:

As for powerups, the numbskulls give you a little health. I don't know what the d6s do yet. I'll probably try some more levels later on.

Been trying to get through the Khufu stage myself. Found a strange invisible ladder right at the start (just to your right I think) that takes you up pretty high, skipping a part of the level. Eventually made my way to Khufu but cant beat him as I keep getting some wierd error with a bunch of different values on the screen that stops you doing anything. Determined to beat this game though haha
valveros
Toad
Toad

Postby DarkWolff » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:01 pm

I might just try to save-state cheat my way through. I hadn't even considered you could even get to the ending.

Edit: I tried Samedi's level again and ran outta time and get sent back to the map. I tried Gevaudan's level again and managed to get up to him. I had 20 "minutes" left on the clock and managed to beat him with some save-state shenanigans a minute and a half left on the clock. He dropped a sliver key and then the Gatekeeper destroyed the forest.

The clock seems really brutal in this game. Gevaudan was a rather large wolf that keeps jumping out from the background then running off screen. The only time you have to hit him is just after you dodge his lunch when he's running away. It takes ~25 hits to kill him.

Edit 2: I forgot to mention that I noticed the checksum on the ROM was invalid. I managed to fix it myself. Your emulator could potentially have problems running it if you have an invalid checksum (I know canoe won't even run those types of roms).
You sound like the type of maggot that learnt to crawl before you walked but never got to the walking part. -- The Gatekeeper

please take one step forward - oh, and watch that first step, its a doozy, you are BANISHED! --The Gatekeeper...to me.
DarkWolff
Hosts
Hosts

Postby Skulldoon » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:24 pm

Someone on Etsy has loaded it onto a cartridge. Still incomplete but kind of fun to be be able to play it as originally intended. I plan on picking it up in the next few days.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/697269943/atmosfear-unreleased-prototype-snes?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=atmosfear&ref=sr_gallery-1-8&organic_search_click=1&cns=1&col=1
Skulldoon
Harbinger
Harbinger

Postby DarkWolff » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:17 pm

I saw that too. It would be cooler if we had a romhack to fix the bugs. I'm sure eventually there will be one but we'll likely have to wait for some time.

DarkWolff
Hosts
Hosts

Postby SavageXtreme » Mon May 10, 2021 6:01 am

Nons wrote:And the menu music is a banger

Its that goooood when to comes to remixes for sure, even for an unreleased game.
Banished to the blaghole...MAGGOT!
SavageXtreme
Harbinger
Harbinger

Postby Skulldoon » Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:41 pm

Seems like there may have been a CDI game as well once upon a time.
Skulldoon
Harbinger
Harbinger

Next

Return to Original Series (VHS Era)