Skip to content

Crowdsourcing for ideas on a board/mechanics revamp

Ever created your own game or wanted to? Feel free to discuss it here!

Crowdsourcing for ideas on a board/mechanics revamp

Postby DarkWolff » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:16 pm

I've said previously that I had considered making a new board that works with all the games in the core series. I've been mentally toying with some ideas and came up with the below list. Right now these are just thoughts with a couple ideas

Goals:

- Compatibility with all core games (Khufu is likely an exception). This means you'll require a copy of a core game to make use of the board/variant rules since you will still need cards, components, etc.
- Revamp movement mechanics (most modern games forgo role-to-move).
- Route choices, including some one-way paths to ensure landing in the black hole is possible.
- More robust interaction mechanics that apply to all games.
- Redevelop key powers, including minor keys (aka, minor powers...some persistent). Existing powers would still be present in some form.
- Thematically, the center of the board would look like a graveyard with the different regions being Harbinger-themed. Sewers will likely be distinct regions.

Stretch Goals
- Assymetric player powers. I have an idea for how this may work, but that doesn't mean it will pan out properly.
- More triggered spaces (like opening the black hole)
- Integrate mechanics from all games

Thoughts? Have an idea you'd like to see? I'd love to hear about them.
You sound like the type of maggot that learnt to crawl before you walked but never got to the walking part. -- The Gatekeeper

please take one step forward - oh, and watch that first step, its a doozy, you are BANISHED! --The Gatekeeper...to me.
DarkWolff
Hosts
Hosts

Re: Crowdsourcing for ideas on a board/mechanics revamp

Postby Skulldoon » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:11 am

Would love to help design something. Kind of a Nightmare/Atmosfear Allstars edition may be fun. Take all the favorite mechanics from each version and make them into one. I would imagine custom cards would need to be made. I have not actually played the original Nightmare game or expansions, just Atmosfear but I would love to help. Even if it is playtesting.

For some reason a social deduction game involving the Harbingers popped in my head also as a fun idea. Also has there been any thoughts about a Role playing variant of some game using the universe of Atmosfear?
Skulldoon
Harbinger
Harbinger

Postby DarkWolff » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:36 am

I'd like to take aspects from all the game and put them into here. I was thinking that before but it does make it harder to be game-agnostic. The amount of people who own ALL the games is probably fairly small. It wouldn't hurt to make it a stretch goal as we'd mostly have to figure out the components aspect. Cards are definitely harder. We'd need to keep the existing decks since there are many cards that pertain to the video, but that doens't mean we couldn't slim them down or add new decks.

I love social deductions games (I've run and played in 20 person werewolf games and have a set that supports 100+ with many custom roles), but I don't really see how it would fit in here. I was working on an RPG years ago but don't think I'll revisit that either. I did get the minor key power idea from my work on it however. I called them silver keys (named from the ones in the card game).

In any case, I'd love to have help in any capacity.
You sound like the type of maggot that learnt to crawl before you walked but never got to the walking part. -- The Gatekeeper

please take one step forward - oh, and watch that first step, its a doozy, you are BANISHED! --The Gatekeeper...to me.
DarkWolff
Hosts
Hosts

Postby Nons » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:37 am

Same goes here, if there's any way I can help, gimme a shout :D
Mummy on the Move!
Nons
Old One
Old One

Postby DarkWolff » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:00 am

Anyone know an artist willing to do a gameboard?

DarkWolff
Hosts
Hosts

Postby Dan Makabre » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:35 pm

I'm actually working on a Table Top Simulator version of The Harbingers right now! 8-)
Attachments
Atmosfear.JPG
Dan Makabre
Numbskull
Numbskull

Postby Nons » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:36 am

Dan Makabre wrote:I'm actually working on a Table Top Simulator version of The Harbingers right now! 8-)

You, sir, are my hero
Finally got a reason to get TTS!
Mummy on the Move!
Nons
Old One
Old One

Postby DarkWolff » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:55 am

I've had too many projects going on so I haven't really gotten started with this other than mental gymnastics. Here are some of the ideas I have stewing. Thoughts?

Movement:
Either a joint deck that you draw from (like the new Fireball island) or a separate deck for each character. I prefer the latter since I could also pull double-duty and have any duel values on it.

Keys Powers:
I am torn between a player board where you lock in your keys to choose a power or cards that you play down when you get the proper key. I prefer the former, but then key powers are easy to target when you lose a duel. Maybe that's ok but it does feel a bit different than the games where you keys are hidden.

Dueling:
Thinking of piggybacking on the movement deck so players have to chose between good movement and duels. It does feel kinda weak though. Perhaps the keys on cards is better as we could have the deck provide triple duty where the good key powers have higher point values leading to more decision making.

Board:
For the board I'm thinking of something that is like the maps from Mario party. Basically, you can only go in one direction for most of the board (sewers and central ring being the main exception) but they will be forks on the road. In Harbingers it's basically impossible to land in the black holes on the board so this will be a way to remedy that. There would also be built-in things that would require proper keys/cards to use. For example, permanent gates that might stay open for a while. Khufu's province might have an area where you have to gambling (die roll) to get to a key-rich area.

DarkWolff
Hosts
Hosts

Postby BonsaiTreehouse » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:52 pm

If we’re borrowing aspects from all games in the series (and we’re looking to make actions more card-based), we can’t forget about the official card game! Maybe make all actions, movement and all revolve around a kind of key currency system with silver keys (and even powerful coloured key cards) handed out or taken away via fate cards describing events occurring in-universe to a player’s harbinger.

Players can stash all these key cards (along with various possible status effect cards) in their own individual decks, or “pockets” if you will, which each have a certain card capacity limit and which players can fill with whichever cards they like. When duels are won, players can pilfer an entire pocket for themselves choosing from either the pocket with more cards or less. Their stash received is dependant on what cards the loser filled that pocket with beforehand.

Generally speaking, I’d like to see the black key return...and double as the Chosen One designator. So whoever has the black key cannot win BECAUSE they're forced into being the Gatekeeper’s lackey. >:)
"I know why you never crack a smile...it would crack mirrors."
BonsaiTreehouse
Harbinger
Harbinger

Postby DarkWolff » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:35 am

The black key will definitely be present if you use the game to play the App or DVD games. We'll likely need a new way to give it to someone, so it could be available for all videos. Your suggestion is a good possible solution.

I'm thinking that silver keys will be obtainable in a new deck. My thinking is to keep the Time & Fate decks the same as the video you are playing. If you are playing Harbingers, you use that Fate deck. I might just flat out replace the Chance deck, though I do like the one that came with Atmosfear 4 (unlike Nightmare 4, it has it's own Chance deck). Then I could have both silver keys and silver key powers in the deck. This would reference the half keys in the Chance deck, though there would a more equal number of each.

One other design issue that we'll have is how to handle the pre-game in Harbingers. It's the only game where you don't start as a Harbinger, so I guess we'll have to have numbskull decks too.

DarkWolff
Hosts
Hosts

Next

Return to Fan Games