Skip to content

Poor sales of Nightmare/Atmosfear IV killed the series?

Discuss your love/hate for the original game series as well as any new updates. Anything prior to the DVD games would go here, this includes the Third Dimension and the Card Games.

Poor sales of Nightmare/Atmosfear IV killed the series?

Postby Parallax2814 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:10 pm

Does anyone know the ultimate cause of the series being ended after Bathory? Everywhere I read says "Poor retail sales", but what caused that in the first place?

- Did the novelty of the game just wear off and people became bored with it?

- Did something else come out that was newer and better (I should know this since I'm currently in my mid 30's lol)

- perhaps the public/consumers didn't connect with Elizabeth Bathory/Vampire character in general like they did with Baron Samedi and/or Anne de Chantraine?

I'm just so sad that they never continued/finished the Nightmare/Atmosfear series with all of the characters. :(
Parallax2814
Numbskull
Numbskull

Re: Poor sales of Nightmare/Atmosfear IV killed the series?

Postby DarkWolff » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:08 am

Parallax2814 wrote:Does anyone know the ultimate cause of the series being ended after Bathory? Everywhere I read says "Poor retail sales", but what caused that in the first place?

- Did the novelty of the game just wear off and people became bored with it?

- Did something else come out that was newer and better (I should know this since I'm currently in my mid 30's lol)

- perhaps the public/consumers didn't connect with Elizabeth Bathory/Vampire character in general like they did with Baron Samedi and/or Anne de Chantraine?

I'm just so sad that they never continued/finished the Nightmare/Atmosfear series with all of the characters. :(

I remember being told they wanted to move to a new direction for the game with Harbingers. The sales did play a role, as you had to have had the master game to get the expansions, and the master game had been out for a good while at that point.

I'd still like to see the game come full circle and have Gevaudan and Hellin each host their own game, but the series has been pretty quiet for a long time. I like how Khufu diverged somewhat from the original gameplay while still keeping facets of it, so it would be nice to see what they could do for the others.
You sound like the type of maggot that learnt to crawl before you walked but never got to the walking part. -- The Gatekeeper

please take one step forward - oh, and watch that first step, its a doozy, you are BANISHED! --The Gatekeeper...to me.
DarkWolff
Hosts
Hosts

Postby valveros » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:20 am

Personally i'd like to see a new nightmare / atmosfear game on blu-ray. Keep the "random scenes" gig from the dvd versions too. And bring back the creepy factor from the vhs games!

If not that I think an online version of the game would work, as long as the host is a real person and not some weird lookin' cgi model. Basically a super improved Third Dimension game.
valveros
Toad
Toad

Postby newbebop » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:26 pm

I read that sales of Khufu were worse than expected and that's why it never got a US release. It's too bad. I'd like to be able to just go to a local store and buy a copy, but instead I'd have to pay international shipping just to find out if I like it.
newbebop
Numbskull
Numbskull

Postby DarkWolff » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:00 am

Khufu had issues with distribution in the US, so that's why we didn't get it here.
You sound like the type of maggot that learnt to crawl before you walked but never got to the walking part. -- The Gatekeeper

please take one step forward - oh, and watch that first step, its a doozy, you are BANISHED! --The Gatekeeper...to me.
DarkWolff
Hosts
Hosts

Return to Original Series (VHS Era)